Afton Landing "SNAKES"

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by lonnie84, May 29, 2008.

1. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Does anyone know anything about the snake infestation over at Afton Landing. I heard they were everywhere with at least one person getting bit while loading or unloading there boat. And that they were so thick that you could not get out of your boat at the ramp. All of this flood water has probable realy been a plus for the snake population.
    Everybody should keep an extra eye out.

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Introduce them to Remington and #8s. Happiness is a shreaded snake.

catman

3. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Who cares? You have a boat, a rod, a big stick. Snakes they are AFRAID of you. Go fish , snakes beware.

Mrwhiskr

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THAT LITTLE WHITE MOUTHED S O B IS NOT AFREID OF YOU I'VE HAD THEM AMOST GET IN THE BOAT WHEN THEY STAND ON THERE TAIL. THEY WILL GET IN YOUE BOAT AND IT IAS ALSO MATEING TIME AND THAT IS WHEN YOU NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR THEM.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If they aint poisonous they wont hurt you unless you grab them.

6. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i've fished that stretch of the river 30 years or so and most of the snakes you see are just water snakes. most people see a snake in the water and its a "water moccasin"(cotton mouth) i did come close to getting bit about ten years ago a mile or so below the dam. walked within 3ft of a cottonmouth. i was walking down a trail and he essed up and had his head back and his mouth open. i think he thought i was a predator and was after him. we did see about 20 snakes on a bluff earlier this year but all i seen was water snakes. i will be in that neck of the woods fri. night. i'll keep an eye out.

7. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hello Folks I fish the Kiamichi and there are millions of snakes, 90% are 100% harmeless, just the brown diamond back water snake. But there are some Cottonmouth but not manny. It is easy to 100% identify which is which thou both have the diamond back pattern. The pit vipers are real distinctive always having a oversize diamond shape head and skinny neck connecting it to his body. Finly if your snake has a blunt tail it most certainly is a cottonmouth the rest of the water snakes are harmless. Yes I admit they will fall out of trees as you pass and even ocasionally bite you on the face or neck, now no one really likes being bit by any creature but you have no fear of harm save the sting of the bite! I hope this helps some of you to tell the dangerous from the harmless.

8. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I agree with you catman, cottonmouths are the meanest snake I've ever seen, I know on several occasions I've thrown a rock at them and instead of slithering away they came right at me, I'm not sure they wouldn't strike a bullet if they saw it coming.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just dont complain about to many rodents.