After Lots of Research & Thinking.....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PABowhunter4life, Jun 29, 2009.

1. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I finally settled on a new channel cat rod. I was going back and forth between the more expensive Ugly Stik Tiger Rods and the cheaper, but much loved American Spirit line of rods and after lots of brain beating I decided to go with the 8 foot , 2 piece Nite Stick rated from 15-30 lb. and a MH action. I don't usually get in to beastly channels but I think this rig will be more than enough in the event that I do find myself hooked up to a 20 pound plus fish. Now I just have to wait for it to get here :sad2:

2. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you cant go wrong with either of those rods, but if u dont mind i would suggest using pro line on your reels, its not to pricey at about 12 bucks a spool at wal-mart, and it casts amazing, i run it on my ugly's with the okuma ab40's and i use the 50lb test just due to the river and you can get awayy with it cause it has only 12lb line diameter!! You wont be disappointed!!

3. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Great minds think alike bud. 50# Power Pro in Moss Green is all I use on my reels :wink:

4. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    man i bet were that smartest fellers on here, ya man that line is the bee's freakin knees for sure, u can do anything with it.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think you made the right choice because the Tiger would been to much rod for that type of fishing ,just my two cents

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I agree the Power Pro line 50lbs. works really well for me too.

7. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

That's pretty much what I got to thinking after a while. No need for a "shark" rod when I'll be lucky to catch a 10 pound channel lol. I'll use a muskie rig for flatheads for the time being, but I do believe at some point shortly I'll grab an Ugly Stik Tiger or Big Water for flatheads as well.

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Agreed...no need to spend the extra money when that Nite Stick will do you just fine for your needs. My buddy even uses those as two of his three main rods for flat fishin. Anyways, best of luck!

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Great rods for the money, the strength of that Nite Stick is gonna surprise you. With the right reel and line, it'll handle any channel you come across and prob'ly any flathead too. I've landed some big blues on my Nite Sticks.

10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have a american nite stick 7' and it has pulled in same nice monsters

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They do have the Tiger lite..Smaller version of the Tiger rods..I've never used an American nite stick before though so I really can't comment on those rods..And as far as Power Pro I like it also..

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont think you will be disapointed in your choice of rod i have 4 myself.And dont be mistakin my friend these rods can horse out the big ones with the best of them,dont you worry about that.If you hang into a big one you will have enough rod to get it in.good choice

13. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good company for sure. We were selling most models through the Catfish Syndicate with special rebates, some as low as $17 Dollars.

14. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Thanks for all the input and responses fellas. The more I read the happier I become with my decision :big_smile:

15. aaroncross12

aaroncross12 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yes................................................

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Aaron!:0a25:

17. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have just recently purchased a tiger rod, love it, would reccomend them to anybody.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    The American Spirits are nice rods. I personally would have went with the Ugly Stik though. :cool2:

19. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

I more than likely will when it comes time for a dedicated flathead rod. Like I said though, I truly don't expect to catch any real monster channels (more or less expecting the worst while hoping for the best lol) so I didn't see the point in dropping $100+ on a rig when the AS Nite Stick is more than enough rod for what it will be used for.