After Flatheads?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good things gotta come to an end!:embarassed:

Most of us will have to wait for at least another 6 months to hook into another.

Is there life after flatheads?:cool2:

I hope to get some striper and tog fishing in the Atlantic Ocean this fall and winter. I also hope I can get to Erie for some steelhead and back to the Potomac for some big blues!

Wintertime smallie fishing at the WWD and black sea bass fishing is not ganna happen!:embarassed:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    What is your water temperature currently?

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    flatheading shouldnt be over in pa for atleast several weeks...i guess this depends on where you are at in pa...i am in north central ohio and plan to flathead fish for alteast another three weeks...I watched a video varmint sniper brought over to my place where they were catching all sorts of flats 20-30 a day jigging wintering holes in february. The pursuit of flatheads is never over in my opinion...its just slows down for a few months lol!

4. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    David,

It wont be long and this is how Flathead Records will start falling.

An Aqua-View camera, a jig tipped with some bait, and patience..

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ah i realize this...I was just stating the fact that even though the bite slows...its doesnt stop...Im not gonna go out jigging for flatheads...i was just using it for an example. I dont wanna take advantage of a flatheads wintering hole the same way i wouldnt wanna noodle one out from an undercut bank. I respect these fish too much to do something detrimental to their survival...it was stated in the video that one person can drastically hurt a population for an entire river system this way...I forget who the video was by but i respected the fact they supported cpr enough to explain that to the viewers as well...sorry for being confusing in my post above...lol

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    I am with you, but you know what will happen..

Like showing a teenager how to make an exploding 2 liter rocket launcher, but top it off with,"this shouldn't be done to damage property under any circumstance".. :smile2:

7. Paul - The Skuke in SE PA is holding around the lower 60's for now. I am not sure about the tidal Delaware though.

Tan - So this will be it over the next few weeks, ha? Hate to see it end. Very interesting some of this wintering flathead talk though, hmmmm.

I would love to also try some of that blue cat fishing. Do you use the same tackle? Look forward to your reports as always.

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    and this is a shame too...wish this wasnt the case. People need to learn how to respect flatheads. People keep bass, crappies, and channel cats all the time...BUT these fish are also frequently stocked in lakes...flatheads dont have that convenience, they were generally stocked one time when the reservoir was built and that was it. They have to rely soley on their own reproduction to keep their population up, so when people keep these fish for the skillet its a bigger deal than when someone harvests other species.

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think we only have a few weeks left here! The water temps will be in the 40s before you know it. These cold rains and cold nights are killing us. Have to start hitting the Hot water discharges soon. Then its drifting for channel cats for me till that magical 50 degree mark in the spring!

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

64 and dropping quick.:sad2:

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    It is alot easier to find the Flats this time of year with a boat. Alot of the Flat guys out this way don't have a boat, so it can be rough. Last year I got my last Flat of the year in Nov.
    Now it's Archery season here in Pa. I will be trying to get me a deer. I know that I am going to go the Patomac for some Blues in a few weeks. Then I like to fish for Walleye and Stipers in the winter.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Not giving up yet, just don't like sitting in the cold nights waiting for a bite.
    But i will take the IOU voucher on the NorthPortTroller on one of those winter flathead excursion. We need to get our hands on one of those Aqua-Views to really pinpoint them!:wink::cool2:

For blues, you use a heavier weights and bigger chunks of cut bait.

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    61 degrees but up for a warm day here Boss