After Flathead catfish.......

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I stopped by the river yesterday on my way home just to get out to take a look at her. I gave her thanks for being so kind to me this year and then realized the flathead season is all but over:sad2:.

Other than flatheads, what you you guys do after flatheads?

Hunting?, ice fishing?, Hang it up til next spring?

Every November 15th, I morph into a saltwater fisherman a pursue a coldwater fish in the wrasse family called blackfish or tautog.

I hope to get up to Erie for a steelhead trip late November.

If I get real desperate to catch a fish, I can cast my arm off with a lure in hopes of a local walleye.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    When I lived in northern Indiana I was fortunate enough to have steelhead running in the local river and decent Pike fishing through the ice.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thats a good question Blacky, one I've been wondering about myself. As for me, I will soon be resorting to obesseviley watching Memphis Basketball and saving up for a boat for next year. hopefully I won't miss the Flatties so bad that I'll have to resort to anti-depressants LOL j/k. :wink:

4. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Well down in Mississippi we go after blues. Cold weather is the time to catch the big ones. So come on down.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    the flat head bite slows the big blues start to light it up i like to find deep holes with a slow to moderant current:big_smile:

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'll be chasing walleyes and sauger mostly, but will probably go after steelhead about 2 times. If it gets too cold I can always go ice fishing.
    Love them perch fillets.

7. foreverman

foreverman New Member

State:
    va
    Blue cats,striper,tog,shark

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The off season goes like this -
    late fall through mid winter: spotted seatrout, red drum, sheepshead, maybe a couple of trips for blue and/or channel cats.
    late winter - mid spring: American shad, with maybe a trip thrown in for blue cats in the winter or channels in the early spring

After that it's back to the flatheads!
    I still mix in fishing trips for other species all season long, though.

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am hoping to et down to Md. a few times for some blue cats and I want to go and visit my mom down in Fl. and do some grouper, snapper and red drum fishing.

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    after the flats shut off here we will continue to fish for channels till the lake freezes over:eek:oooh: i do not ice fish lol, id like to get a trip in at the james river for blues in the early spring though:wink:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will be dedicating my time to catching some coldweather blues. Good luck to all cold weather fishermen. Its going to be a great year

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i didn't even think that far ahead, i guess i'll be watchin alot of fishin shows on tv and gettin the gear ready for the spring

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I enjoy ice-fishing, fishing for deep water crappies, walleye fishing, blues now I have fished for them... pretty much anything as long as its fishing.. I even like to try to get them flats to bite occasionally:wink: rollo

14. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I go into a massive depression :cry: lol

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im going after crappie this year and I'll keep looking for the occasional winter flathead.

16. Mrs. Sunbird

Mrs. Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run, SC.
    Thank goodness for Blues! There are some huge ones at Santee and they keep my hubby happy till the flathead bite is better. I personally don't fish in the winter months, even in the south! To cold!