After Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ste6168, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Inspired by Tan's thread here, I felt that I needed to share.

After a few rounds of PM's back and fourth between Pip and I. I decided to try my hand on the Potomac river for Blues. Last Saturday I went searching for them and came up short. I caught a couple small ones, but nothing of any size. This morning I wen't back down to the Potomac to try my hand again. This time, after some great advice from Pip, I got into some real pullage. I fished for about 5 hours and got four nice fish. Day went as follows:

Arrived at the spot around 10:30am. After baiting up and casting out my first rod, it was about 10:45. Got my first run about 5 minutes later. Set the hook, fought and brought up a 22.3lbr. After that I was figuring on the day only going downhill :smile2:. Anyway, I re-baited, casted back out and got a run a few minutes after that. This time the fight produced a bigger fish. Got myself a 40.3lbr! I told Pip a few days ago in a PM that I was setting my sights on a 30+, he laughed in a reply and said I should up my target :wink:. I guess he was right because now I have to look at the 50lb mark :big_smile::crazy:. After the 40 I caught a little ~10lbr, then I got a 26.4lbr.

Anyway, this is what I am doing after flatheads and I invite any and all of my PA brothers to come down and visit MD to hunt some blues, with me or not! I had a blast today and hope you all enjoy the pics/report.

BIG thanks to Pip for the time he gave to help a brother out. I really appreciate it! Just another showing of how great this site is!!! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Sounds like a great outing. Congratulations on your success with the blues. Thank you for the report. Good going! :big_smile:

Ray

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Looks like THAT time was the RIGHT time,,,Congrats, and thanks for the pics and report!!

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Congrats on the great catches Mike:wink:

5. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Excellent job and congratulations! Now we'll be thinking of spending more money and driving further to catch fish.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good fishin Mike,sounds like an all around nice days work!:cool2:

7. Nice job Mike, reps to you and Pip.:wink:

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats awesome, with fish that size i'm sure you'll forget all about flathead til spring, and i'm sure there are flathead down in that area as well:wink:

9. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    Wow, that thing is a COW:eek:oooh:. Congrats to you fella...

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Nice job Mike, Glad I could help out if nothing more then advice. But your the one that did it on your own, persistence paid off for ya. The blues probably won't replace the flatheads your used to, but hopefully they can still fill some voids when your not able to get out after the flatheads and get ya some fun time on the river. Getting a 40#er on only your second time down alone isn't too shabby in my book. You did good!!!

PS....Told ya to set your goals higher for that stretch of water. This is a fun time of the year for down there. Joining the fiddy club or even the state record from that place on your next cast is definitely within your grasp. Believe me when I tell you that, too.:wink:

11. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    wow! congrats mike on the fish. that thing is a cow, would of taking you a long time to get a flat that size back in the burgh.and i think you have tried..lol:smile2:. looks like maybe instead of driving north for steel, i might drive south for some blues..lol:wink:. congrats again bro, nice job!!...tight lines ...justin

12. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Hey Mike, This is kind of a PSS. to my first post but, just a tidbit of information to kick around. The present official state record 67.1 was caught by a guy that was down fishing in only his 3rd time out on the lower potomac, less then 400 yards away from where you were.:wink: That very fish is swimming in Bass Pro shop's aquarium just outside of Baltimore in Hanover, MD, if you happen to get by there. Really not far from ya.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'll take you up on that offer!:cool2:

Nice fish, Mike. Them Blues can get addicting.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Oh by the way, YOU DA MAN PIP!

This is what the BOC is all about!:cool2:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish! You PA boys sure know how to tear em up!:wink: rollo

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thats a great day of fishin there bud:big_smile:

17. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    nice pig man ya its def time to up the ante now lol. good luck in future endevors.

18. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Nicely done Mike, and props to PIP for floating some tips around... :cool2:

19. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks boys. I will more than likely be heading back to the Potomac at least once a week until the end of December. I am trying to join this elusive "fiddy" club that Pip so cautiously speaks about :wink::crazy::smile2:.

Tan, the offer is open. Feel free to make the trek, after all it should only be about 2.5hrs from Philly, if that?

Justin. That reminds me and I keep meaning to send you a message or give you a call about this. I am coming up to the burgh for a few days around Thanksgiving. I would like to try my hand up Erie for some steelies. Would you want to head up one day (was thinking Sat after black Friday) and show me the ropes? I think I am going to head up either way, so if you want to come along for a good, cold day of fishing/bullshitting :0a18:. I'd be glad to have you! We'll catch up before then and make some plans if your interested.

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hot diggity-Dog!

I'm gonna catch some blue cats!:cool2: