African Sharp Tooth Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH AMERICAN CATFISH' started by Ace, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Sharptooth catfish
    The sharptooth catfish, although native to South Africa is in fact an alien species to many of the waters of the Western Cape, it is proving to be a highly invasive predator. It can now be found in many waters where it does not naturally occur. It can tolerate water conditions of low clarity, low oxygen and even pollution making it available to anglers who don't have easy access to other species or distant waters. The sharptooth catfish grows very large and offers the flyangler with a legitimate and strong fighting quarry, Large.It can be fished for in waters such as the Orange Rive, Vaal River and the like. Ugly but a great fighting fish. Successful flies include large woolly buggers, woolhead mullet, floating frog patterns, the half chicken, carp bugger, marabou streamers. Flies that push water are an advantage when water clarity is low.

Ace :evil-big: :0a20:

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks ACE , but i think ill stay with the blues,channels, and flatheads. A good post...............got to travel to for to catch one of those......... hope you had a good fishing trip sat..........................

3. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    thats pretty cool..if it had scales and no whiskers it would just like a bowfin :)

4. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's just what I was thinkin'. Ugly bugger isn't it. Cut off the whiskers and it would look a lot like a danged ol' eel.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am glad I am not the the one holding it, lol

6. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    In this year's catfish insider they got a story about Amazon Vampire Catfish. They only grow up ta three inches, but they enter your body when you urinate in the water:)crazy: ), and can only be taken out by surgery.

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    ace you always seem to amaze me with the stuff you come up with. thats a cool pic.

8. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    its amazing how differant types of catfish there are thanks for the pics

9. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Where is the pic?

10. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest