Affordable Spinning reel with a 99 lb.drag?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Jul 27, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As some of you know I have been looking at everything and everywhere on line to learn about Abu Garcia reels and comparing them to other reels.I have seen some amazing claims on max. drag ratings on reels.I would think none would be surprised at Shimano's claim of 99 lbs.of max.drag for their Tiagra T1130A which is rated for 1000 yds. of 130 lb.line.Now what is amazing is what I found while searching the Okuma site.The claimed max.drag ratings for the Vsystem and Salina size 80 spinning reels is claimed to be 99 lbs!The max.claimed drag ratings for the Aveon,Inspira,Alumina,Epixor,Stinson,size 80 reels is 75 lbs! If this is true,WOW!As you all know,I am now slow.It is going to take me a while to sort this out.Am I missing something here? Can this be for real?What do you think? I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    On big saltwater fish like tuna, marlin, swordfish and sharks the drag is set very heavy sometimes BUT 75 to 99 pounds ???? Holy moley !!
    Better be strapped into a fighting chair or be sure :0a20:to wear a life jacket.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Seventy five pounds of drag. Dont know about that for a spinning reel wouldnt you think the whole thing would fall apart especially Okuma reels which already have a suspect bail system(at least in my eyes). I have before in my tinkling applied steady pressure with a near max setting seems like the whole bail wanted to come apart....:smile2:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What model and size reel was that?Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey Pee-wee I was referring to an Okuma Avenger 65. I purchased about 2 years ago. The bail refused to open after maybe 5 trips or so and pieces that hold the roller and bail are a bit on the small side. It now makes a harsh clicking or more like clanking sound when I open it. It has gotten stuck a few times so I no longer use it. Although it did appear to have a strong drag. I was trying to say that if you used 75lbs of drag on a spinning reel I would imagine the whole bail would come apart before you even got anywhere near that amount of pressure.