Affects of high water after spawn.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catchinghogs, Jul 2, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Here on the river I fish the Monongahela river in Pennsylvania the spawn should be over. I was just wandering with the recent high waters we have had do you think the high water affected the spawn? The river has been too high to fish but looked at it today and it should be fishable in the next couple of days.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't think change in water depth will effect a spawn if the fry has hatched. If still in the egg stage, during high water, the silt would probably cover the nest destroying the spawn. And, if the water depth drops - it's over for that hatch. It may sweep the young away from the parent left guarding the hatch, but with that much more water, a good many of them would survive. An abrupt change in temperature and it also is all over. So, if the rain water has sufficiently altered that body of waters temperature, it will probably kill the fry. But, God is pretty smart about these things, and he protects all the fish and animals as he does man.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Schuylkill in Philly is very muddy. So correct me if Im wrong, the flooded shouldn't have a major effect?