affect of asian carp on catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 28, 2009.

will asian carp spell doom for cats in the next decade

1. yes

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    will they spell doom, or coe exest, in the next ten fifteen years

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They aint taking away any of the flats food fish,so they shouldn,t affect them too much.From what I,ve read about them,they seem like a real pain in the ass.I think theo oughta make all these big shipping companies put money into a fund to clean up all the invasive species they bring over with them!:wink:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had an idea, find a viris or chemical that would kill only the asian carp, im shure a biolgest could find a strain of a viris in a lab and alter it to kill em all, give them the black plage

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Those viral chemical fixes always have consequences. There is always some side effect that they don't find. However if those carp become to common the flats will start eating them.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    from what i have read they do effect the flatheads main food scource, shad.

the asian carp are plankton feeders,shad are also plankton feeders and will hurt the shad population big time.

but maybe in turn the flats will feed on the asian carp?

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I know the bluecats are feeding on them. In time, I think river fisherman will be netting asians for cutbait instead of shad.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Doom, no, but I do believe the effect is negative. Catfish will eat an asian carp, but by the time the carp reach 15 - 20lbs they are pretty much catfish proof. The waters here are loaded with big asians while shad have become harder to find. If a 50lb asian carp replaces a hundred half pound shad, millions of 50lb asian carp are a big problem for the catfish, IMO.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Catfish are already feeding on the asian carp fry. About time also. The bait thing has merit, when you need cut bait, just drive thru some slack water, and they will just jump in the boat. LOL I think that in time they will probably cease to jump, but they do breed like flies, the up side of that is that other fish species are beginning to eat them. Anyway they are here, I don't believe there is anything we can do about that, but I did notice last year when the commercial guys was targeting them, it was better for the boaters ect. So if there would be a market developed maybe we could control them somewhat. Later Andy

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the problem is they eat the base of the food chain, if thats taken out, so are all the fish including the carp, if they are as bad as what the dnr says

10. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    alot of the bowfishers should be able to help control the carp population.

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i know my bear kodiak is responsible for takin a few outta the water, and put back in the water in chunks, one carp is pretty good at turnin into 5 catfish

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    fish em out! make fish sticks out of em! hell catch em and feed em to the starving! they cant taste much worse than cod..

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There is ALREADY a virus that affects the common carp it comes from the KOI and is killing THOUSANDS of carp in (at least) SC that I know of.. I don't know about how close the genetics of an asian carp are to KOI or common carp, but there's a good (or bad?) possibilty of that happing if they are close enough genetically.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think natre will kill them, overpopulation seems to cause massive dieoffs within a species, but so far, cats are thriving on the carp, but in sorry, no amout of anglers are going to even kill 5 percnt of them, im for introducing a virus that can be alterd in a lab, that will killmthem all and if they study it they can mutate a viris to kill the asian carp, a little genetics and some strains of virus, will do it

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    more like import some wels cats:smile2:

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol YEAH!!!!:0a24::0a27:

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If anything the presence of the carp should benefit catfish. I hear the breed like rabbits so it would obviously give the catfish more baby fish to eat.

Asian carp are filter feeders to there is no competition for food!:cool2:

Not good for bass and trout , though!:wink:

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    not true, the cats are thriving on them now but, what most people dont know is they eat zooaplation, its the base of the food chain, its what the minnows live off of, if its taken out, thats it

19. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    From what everyone is saying they ae becoming part of the food chain, a lot of guys in St. Louis are cleaing up using the asians, have a few in the freezer, from last weekend when weather cut m trip short of even getting a line wet, hopefully this weekend I can get out and test what everyone has been raving about. Blues Love asian carp:big_smile::wink:.