Aerator Losing Prime

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by roh1961, Apr 9, 2006.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been having trouble with my livewell pump air locking after cranking up and moving to another spot. When I get there it has air locked and I have a hard time getting it pumping again. Sometimes I have to cup my hand and push water into the thru-hull inlet. I have tried it with the livewell pump being left on and left off while moving with the same results. I have a timer on it so I have tried it at run and timed run too; same results. Do you think the impeller might be bad? It works great when it's working. Do I need to add a check valve inline or just scrap the pump and get another one. What is the best affordable aerator pump? I didn't know if I should post here or in the boat repair section.

2. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I have the same problem what the guys at the boat dealer told me was before you anchor up they say to turn on the aerator and put boat in reverse til it starts to pump.. i dunno if it works yet.. the dealer also lost my darn plug for my livewell.. good luck with it.. my boat is a 16 ft tracker pro v

3. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I have the same problem. All I have ever had to do was just turn the pump off and let it sit for a minute or two and then turn it back on.

4. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried turning it on and off and also letting it sit for a bit and eventually it works sometimes, but I'm afraid it might not be good to keep powering it on and off or running it dry. I'm getting very aggravated with it. Thanks, Randy

5. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have the same problem with mine from time to time. Usually works to turn it off and try again.

6. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mine did that to me once... I kicked boat in reverse just a few seconds and it was OK. Hasn't happened again so I'm not sure if that's an "every time fix" or not?

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    A very simple problem to cure. Check the direction of the discharge nipple of the Ariator. It must be pointing up or at least upward. If the nipple is pointing down or horizontal, it will lose prime. I found this out the hard way after installing a new one, thinking the old one was no good for losing it's prime all the time. When the new one did the same thing, I relented and read the directions. There it was, plain as day in bold writing. LOL I moved the ariator around to the correct position and have never had it lose it's prime again.

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I had the same problem with my new boat and several trips back to the dealer, they found out it was the way the line was ran between the pump and tank. It had a "p-trap" effect. They straightened out the line. I have not had a problem since.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mine does that sometimes as well. Like said before just throw it in reverse and it primes quickly again and works. I dont know as if its that hard on them to run them dry because I accidentally leave mine on quite a bit. But usually I just turn it back on and it pumps but when it doesnt, thrower in reverse and she works just fine.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Kutter what is the matter with you?;) Reading directions!!Are you crazy?:p Next thing you know you will be asking someone for directions for heavens sake!;) Today you can buy good pumps that generally wont lose their prime,but if they do backing up is a time honored method of "re-priming" by forcing water up the thru hull to the pump.Any bend in the line acts as a trap also.My boat has a thru hull underneath with a brass guard around it that forces water up the pipe at speed.:)