aerator help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bill in SC, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am planning on getting my deep freezer bait tank up and running very soon. For this home bait storage tank, I want an aerator that runs off 100/120 AC volts rather than 12 volt DC. Can someone direct me to the best aerator for the money? Want to spend $75 or less.
    Bill in SC

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    might go to petco and get a aqaurium pump or do like i do have your wife stick her head under water and blow bubbles :smile2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Basically, what I'm saying is that, there are sooooo many aerators on the market, which one is the best aerator for the money. I want a durable aerator. I've had one for about nine months and it locked up yesterday. I don't want to have to keep buying them over and over and over.
    Bill in SC

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Go to Lowe's or Home Depot or similar store and check out their fountain pumps. They should have some thing you can use. I use one and plumed it up with 1/2" PVC to spray water and it works just fine in a 55 gal. drum

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've seen this setup and it works very well. Very nice set up.
    In my 55 gallon barrel bait tank at home I just have a dual line aquarium aerator running 2 lines and it works well. Not sure the brand but I've had it several years. I have 2 10gal aquarium filters running in it also and have had very good luck keeping bait alive. The only time I've had a big die off is when It came unplugged for about 36 hours. Lost all the gills but the Israeli carp lived.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive had tropical aquarium fish off and on for years and it seems like all aerators crap out after a while. for the money your looking to spend and the size of tank you got you would be better off doing like ken said and getting a water pump they will last way longer. ive been using a water filter pump to aerate my bait tank and it seems to work just fine.

7. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I have been using a small fountain pump for aout 2 years now. All the other pumps I have tried have only lasted 2 to 6 months.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Have you asked at a bait shop? I stay away from them,but they seem to have gret aerators in the minnow tanks.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's the type aerator/pumps I've been pondering. They DO seem to works well at the bait shops. We DON'T have a bait shop in my town with a live tank!! :-( Those pumps from Lowes sound like a plan too. I will now start to shop since I have a direction of what to look for. I can do all my pricing online, and then buy! Thanks, folks!
    BB in SC

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    A small pool filter makes a great filter/aerator for a bait tank, just plumb it so the flow makes a spray on the surface. The filters are reusable, and even if you do have to replace it they are cheap. My tank is about 100 gallon, and I keep anywhere from 2 to 10 dozen baits, and only have to clean the filter once a week, and change out 1/2 the water once a month.
    You should be able to find them on clearance this time of year.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill you can get a 25-75watt 110volt pond aerator air pump and will do everything you will ever need. All I have ever used is a standard 110v 50-60 gallon aquariam pump from walmart for about $25. Whatever kind f pump you buy make sure to kkep it dry and it will last you a long time.

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I got one of those big swimming pool pumps from walmart.They were selling out of their summer stuff and I got it for 35 bucks.It pumps 1800 hundred gal and hour I have never lost a fish yet.I put a filter on the intake and return and it keeps a 500 gallon tank very clean.I also have one of those fish tank air pumps and a airstone on it I got that a walmart for about 12 bucks.

13. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    We useairconditoner pumps you can fix them where they float with stirefoam. you could figure how to put a filter but I have never needed it. We just put it where it floated and circulated the water. It would keep three hundred perch alive. But put the water in the tank and run it for 24 hrs. or the clorine will kill them fast probably 30 minutes if you dont aireate the water for 24hrs.Those pumps cost less than 10.00 dollars. thanks sam davis.