Aerator and filter for bait tank

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Phil Washburn, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i finally found me a tank for bait - it is 30+ gallons and galvanized - i need some ideas and pointers on how to rig it, and where to get parts to rig it

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tank for boat or home?

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Phill, there a few good(thrity) ideas in the "Informative member posts" section. If ya want I can send you a drawing or list of the parts I used on mine.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Phil, I use a pump off of a small walmart pool. Had to modify it some as you can see in the pics. for a filter any container that will hold water will work, rubber made tub, plastic trash can, barrell, bucket you get the idea. Filter media is nothing more than pillow stuffing, walmart hobby-cloth department. I also added a couple of inches of gravel in the bootom of the tank, this also acts as a filter, and more area for good bacteria to grow. I would have the water inlet on the filter at the bottom with a overflow that run back into the tank to complete the recirculating loop.
    post some pics of your tank and check the library can pick up a ton of useful info there.

Attached Files:

• bt1.jpg
      bt1.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
    • bt2.jpg
      bt2.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • bt3.jpg
      bt3.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
  6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's a nice looking rig, bam, but will that pump last long at continous duty cycle?

keith i like your tank a lot, but i didn't want it to be quite as complex....remember, not all of us work at a plumbing store :D

and yes, keith, if you could send me a drawing and parts list i am sure it would help...philsreliable@juno.com
    thanks

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    fwmud... Please send me both the drawings and parts used on yours. I don't own a plumbing store but I know where several are located. :) Abu

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Phil, That pump is working on its 3rd or 4th season, i know it's at least 3.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have ordered a 526gph koi pond pump. i will attach a plastic box to the tank and make a filter out of it. the pump will be submersed in the filter box, drawing water from the bottom of the tank and it will free flow back into the top of the tank, aerating the water in the process. i will put a layer of gravel in the bottom of the tank.
    does it sound like this is going to work ok?

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    sounds good to me Phil if you're putting filter media in the "box" to allow water flow thru it. Of course many heads are better than one on any subject.LOL

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yep, keith, i will filter it in the box...what is a good filter medium?

that's right, mark, it is essentially an aquarium. but at times, i will have a lot of fish in it, and i wanted to be sure i have adequate filtering and aeration capabilities....it is also large enought to keep caught fish alive in, temporarily

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Phil, I was thinking about getting me one of those galvanized water trough that the farmers use to water their livestock. I think one can buy one up to 150 gallons. what do you think of this idea?

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    they work great, top. i think DH has a big one like that. that is exactly what mine is, but it is only 40 gallons...still it is big enough for me

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I had a minnow tank at the store I used to have and I used a fountain pump from Loews. It cost about $40.00 and had been running constantly for over 12 years when I sold the store. I had it submerged and piping run through a filter and spraying back into the tank. It would keep 10 pounds of minnows aerated with no problems as long as the water was kept cold. My cooler was made from an old dehumidifier. The evaporator coils were bent around so that it hung in the water and I used a small timer to turn it off and on rather than trying to use a thermostat. You can pick up an old dehumidifier at yard sales for around $10.00. If you can find the kind that has a coil of tubing for the evaporator rather than one that looks like the radiator in a car, then it will be easier to bend it around so it will hang into the water.

Back to the pump, I used 1/2 inch PVC pipe and put a cap on the end that had a slit cut in it so it would create a little pressure and spray the water back into the tank. I didn't use glue on the cap so I could pull it off and clean it out occasionally. Your pump needs to be separated from the bait by a screen or something to keep your bait from getting sucked up against it.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I Use A Chest Freezer With A Pond Pump And Filter. I Keep 5 Pounds Of X-large Shinner On Hand Most All Year Long. Keep The Water About 55 And It Will Keep Them For A Long Time. A Soda Bottle With Water Freeze It One A Day Will Work. I Keep It In My Garage Drilled Two 1/2" Holes One On Each Side At Top For Air To Move In And Out. The Pond Pump Will Keep Them Alive Just Like Goldfish. I Replace Half The Water Ones A Week. Freezer Was Free Is Don't Run The Pump Was Like $20 At Wal Mart. I Feed Them Dog Feed Every Other Day Just A Small Hand Full. It Work Good For Crawfish Too.

16. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Don't forget to add some activated charcoal (found at aquarium shops) to your filter system somewhere.
    Fish of all types naturally put out alot of ammonia and it can really build up fast in smaller tanks. Normally it rises to the surface of our lakes and rivers and then it's absorbed by our atmosphere, but in small tanks sometimes there's not enough surface area to keep up with the process.
    Activated charcoal absorbs the ammonia and any other dissolved gasses so that the water won't get toxic if you end up having too many fish for the surface area of the tank.

17. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Phil, the filter media you can use/get about anywhere. Walleyworld sells it in big bags and its pretty cheap. The bacteria build-up in the media is the best retardant for ammonia build up. Just rememberYou want a slow steady water flow thru the media. A bucket above water with many holes drilled in the bottom will work fine..

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup, all i have is a pump rinnin into a empty detergent bottle full of scratch pads. plastic 30 gal tub holds 50 gills for weeks at a time . just let the tank run with a few baits in it to get the process started or change 1/3 water every day for the first week. oh and you dont need the sand in the bottom. it gets in the way of cleaning the tank.

g/l phil

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Keith in one of the recent.(Last few months) discussions about bait tanks somebody referenced air stones that you can get at pet stores that are more efficient than the ones that come with aereators.Do you or anyone remember that discussion or know the names of the stones.ie company name?

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    lots of great ideas guys - thanks. i have everything, but i didn't get the used tank sealed good, so i am in the process of resealing it. i will try to post some pics when i get done