AEP Ponds

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by newell94, May 12, 2008.

1. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Anyone fished in the AEP Ponds for cats? I know there is some big bass and bluegills. And what about the wildlife areas(Powelson and Woodberry).

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the aep ponds hold some nice fish.. make sure you get your permit off the internet before you go to them though. there are some big channel cats in them as well. the woodbury area has some good ponds and some that aren't any good. i have found them to be better for getting small baits such as warmouths etc. the powelson area also has some hidden secrets. the ones that are easy access get fished reguarly, but there are some that you have to walk to that are worth fishing as well....goodluck....rollo

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Last time I was there was in 84 and I was getting to graduate HS and then go Active duty so I was not in the right frame of mind to fish :wink:

4. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    thanks rollo, i got my permit last year but, only went 1 time. my dad wants me to go to powelson with him adn he just told me about woodberry

5. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    gary sounds to me lke you need to get back out there. 20+ years is a long time

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my opinion is the aep ponds are better fishing for big bass, crappie, gills, and cats. some of them ponds sit way back in the forest, but if you walk to them they are usually worth fishing. some of them strip pits are 20 or more ft. deep, with alot of steep rocky banks. goodluck to you....rollo

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont know if I could handle it now :smile2: or do you mean for fishing :tounge_out::smile2:

I know that we camped at a pond that was huge and appeared to be very deep but nobody caught anything but then again are heads were not really thinking correctly. We walked to this one pond and someone droped their lure right at the side. It was a very small pond and there was one fish in there that looked pretty big. I layed on the ground to get the lure and went straight to my shoulder and was still not touching bottom plus the water was cold as !@#$

8. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio

9. crtr03

crtr03 New Member

State:
    columbus, ohio
    i was there last year and i put my spot light on the water one night i saw a nice 10lb channel swimming around. I didnt have my gear with me but im going to go back this year and try those ponds this year.

10. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    where are these ponds and what site do you have to go to to get a permit

11. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i recently read in an issue from like 2003 ohio fish and game that the AEP ponds were the top pick of the year for catfish and it even gave specifics to what ponds where the best, ill dig into that issue and give some specifics. I know ill be hitting that place soon.

12. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    We are preparing for a visit to the AEP ponds, if anyone has info to the approx. to good fishing and the type transition while humping to the fishing locations it will be appreciated.

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was looking for that old issue of ohio fish and game and no luck yet, ill make sure i find it tomorrow