Advise please

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Topname, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    Ok I was fishing on top with a night bobber 1st I had a jhook and it went under and ran wih it I set the hook and 1or2 tugs its gone. This happend about 2or3 times:sad2:

Ok now I go to a circle hook and its the samething but I don't set it. He or she takes it and my drag races out so I reel it and 2or3tugs its off. Now I have a night bobber and a plan one both wit circle hooks on. When I was done I am packing up and one of my rods gets pulled in the water that was my fault I should have reeled it in 1st but got it back still no fish

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong:confused2:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well it sounds like you have a Gar on the other end of your line,there bad about that, if you want to see if it's that put a treble hook on and hang on

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro

Catman is right, sounds like gar to me. There are some pictures of "rope lures" in the gar fishing section. They look like they'd work well. That hard toothy snout doesn't have anything to set a hook in. They have to get your hook well into their mouth. They're fun once you get one on though.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Gar....I am with everyone else on this one. I bet as soon as it gets cold that problem will stop.

5. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Ditto, I agree with everyone else.

David

6. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Put a bit of frayed nylon rope on your hook with your bait and you'll see.

7. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks but no thanks I don't want to mess with those things thought they were cats:smile2: I'm not doing that again:wink:

8. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    gar. take you a peice of nylon braided rope about a ft long. tie it on the hook with a good knot and heat that knot up with a lighter. when it cools it'll be hard and wont slip off. take whats left hangin and unbraid it and tease it out. put your bait on the hook. if the hook dont get him the rope will. all them teeth in that rope and he's as good as caught.

oh yeah you may want to make a few extra's.:wink: