Advise on equipment

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by HARVRAD2003, Feb 24, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I am in the process of getting my gear together so I can have everything prepared to go fishing in a month or so. At the moment some of my reels consist of 2 large diawa emblem spinning reels which hold 230 yds of 20 lb. test, 1 quantum iron IR335, 1 7000C3, 1 penn 320 gt2, 2 5000's, 1 6000, 1 penn jigmaster 500 and 1 6500c3. I have 1 11 ft. TIGER ugly stick rod, 4 Tiger ugly stick 7' rods-1 for spinning / 3 conventional. My question is I will probably have about 120.00 to spend on more equipment and I need advise on what may be good to get. I mainly catch 5-10 pound cats at the most, mainly due to not having much of a boat to go for the biggins. I love the ambassadeurs mainly cause I seem to be able to cast without any backlashes or very few. Most of outfits are for the big guys (hoping for the day that I can catch a nice 40 to 60 lb'r) probably need some medium outfits. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I don't know what you use for bait, but if you use dip or punch baits, consider getting some Looper rigs. Check out the link at the right of your screen.

Also, you might consider some Kat bobbers from Main-Wolf Products that would help you suspend your bait over structure to be able to get those large fish from the bank. The link to them is on the right as well.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You have the reels for medium fish already. Those 5 & 6000 reels are perfect channel cat reels, you might need lighter rods though.Just use 20lb mono. Then if you start finding larger fish get some power-pro for your larger reels, 50,60,80 lb. When you start catching them consistantly then get an Abu 7000 or two. If it was me I'd put that money into terminal tackle hooks, sinkers,swivels, sinker slides...etc. Buy in bulk for cheap and you'll have them for years. Ask around for sites you can get what you need, Lots of "deal" hunters on here.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dude, you got a good array of gear.

My advice, save that $120.00 to spend on gas food and other small stuff. Trust me, gas prices will be back at $2.85 by the end of the spawn!!

5. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As the year unfolds you'll find things you want and still have the money to buy.........well at least some of'em!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    One thing I might add.

Hold on to the money and go do some fishing. There is not better way to learn what you need than to be out on the water and say to yourself, "I need a "so and so".

I too have had money burning a hole in a my pocket and have learned there are plenty of things I "need" and a lot of things I "want" that I don't need!!

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well how about hooks and weights, do you have enough . I recomend circle hooks and tru turn hooks works for me. Also how about swivels and line for your leaders. If you fish from the bank a good set of rod holders is a must.

8. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i would recommend the 7' ugly stik catfish poles for the 5-10 pounders. and i can testify that a 32# flat can be pulled out of a heavy snag with 'em as well.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I would save that $120 and save up... there will be somethings coming in the future, like a boat, that you'll wish you had that $120 extra for...

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yA, thought about buying some powerpro for my reels and maybe something to melt and cast weights with. Found about 35 lbs. of lead in a roll about a year ago at the hospital I worked at, they were remodeling and they threw it away, so I figure I have plenty of lead for awhile anyway. I guess I'm just getting the fever and am very anxious about jumping out there and fishing. Also my 2 5000's and a few other of my ambassadeurs need some work so I figure I can take them and get them fixed, don't have much experience myself at tearing down and fixing reels, figure I'd make one heck of a mess if I tried--especially getting everything to fit right with no parts left over/by the way I have no room to do such a thing, if I did my wife may kick me out.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get some good weights, fishing line, and most of bait!

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats funny that you got your lead from the hospital. Last year my father inlaw and I made 60 lbs of sinkers with lead that shielded the X-ray room at the hospital where his buddy worked. They tore it all out when they built a new room. I'm hoping the radiation attracts flatheads. LOL

13. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Spend some money on a good aereated bait bucket. The fresh live bait will pay you back much more than any more rods.
    Eric

14. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    That would be like having a light stick on your line. LOL:)

Frank