Advise on a flat bottom price

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by izatt82, Mar 3, 2007.

1. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    it a 16' 48" floor 1998 flat bottom no motor with trailer looks in pretty good shape.. what do you think is a fair price for it?

just don't want to pay to much

thanks guys

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No motor, with trailer...not over $500.00.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It depends on where its rivited or welded around $500 or so:big_smile:

4. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i just got to ask but where are you guys finding these 500 dollar trailers and boats. 750 is the lowest i have seen and it to far away to drive too. most around here want atleast 1000 unless i want a 14' which i dont. but if i could find a 500 dallors boat i would jumpon it i founf a 25hp merc for 750 so the motor is there.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In my neck of the woods they buy those boats and make small air boats out of them. They work real good on the Cimmaron. My understanding of your question is what would we pay for a similar boat as you listed... think we gave you our prices. Your up north and in a different market than we are in... probably accounts for the price differentials. You can pick up the 12 to 14 foot regular jon boats, about 38 to 40 inches wide for less than 200.00 - 300.00 for the boat and trailer. Just gotta keep shopping till you find what your wanting.

6. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yep good point thanks guys

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I jus bought my 14' jon boat w/9.5 motor for $500. no trailer. an motor needed some work, not much tho, just needed a new kill switch and th wireing for it, also I think I need to clean out th carb cuz it sat up fer a while. I think that was a fair price. I've seen re-built 9.9's even 7 hp motors around th $1000 mark, so I think I did ok. But AwShucks has a point, geographical location may play a part, also time of yr plays a part. Between Oct and Feb I have seen prices lower than they would be for th spring an summer. If u r buying from an individual. Just like coats will be cheaper after th season is over, boats will be cheaper in th "off season".
    At least that has beenmy experience.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Fellas I have a serious deal for you. ANYONE that can find a 16 foot, not 14, but 16 foot 52 inch beam or larger with a trailer with good enough tires to get to Ohio, that float and are not in too rough condition for $500.00 or less, I will buy and come get within 500 miles. That is sight unseen, I'll take your word for it. If I can't double my money I'll.... oops this isn't HI.

That is a standing offer.

9. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that whats im saying wizard thats unseen up hear

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Nothing like that even close around here either. You can't even hardly buy a trailer that is roadable for $500, let alone the boat.

I paid $1575 for mine, off of EBAY. It was for the 1648 with a 25hp Mercury tiller, and a pretty rough trailer. If your area is anything like this area, you can expect to pay $750 to $1000 for boat and trailer, $500 for a motor that even runs.

11. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    My dad just called me about an hour ago and told me that he traded a car that he had 200 dollars in and 75 dollars cash for a boat, motor and trailor. I don't know about the boat other than it has a walk through winshield. But the motor is a 90 hp evanrude (runs very good). The boat has no title so he was going to sell parts off it to get his money back. I told him I would give him his money back for it and keep the motor for a spare in case my blew up.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Please don't think that I am joking. I RARELY joke about money. If anyone wants to make a few bucks I am a buyer and can pick up 2-5 or so at a time.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Two years ago I had $1200 saved & looked hard....I couldn't find a deal on a good jon. In fact the hunt continues....I did score a good single axle trailer used, and that should help as the "deal" hunt continues....hopefully I'll be like everybody else and am using the first of many boats. Good luck.
    Patience.
    :smile2:

14. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    are you talking about boats wizard?

if so if you can find me a 14' wide like a rough neck lowe with trailer and no motor for cheap im in.

it alot harder than i thought to find a cheap flat bottom change my mind going for a 14' wide instead of a 16'

15. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Chris here in the Midwest Jons seem to bring decent money. I would say a 98 16 ft would easly bring 750+ if it had a nice trailer. I was trying find nice cheap jons for over a year and every one I looked at was old, beat up, and usually very narrow with no title. I finally found a 89 15 ft lowe with a 1989 15 hp merc and a 2003 40lb minn kota trolling motor. Which I paid 1000 for but the trailer is a POS. Good luck.

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I guess it is everywhere, I bought a 16x48 with a 25hp and trailer in good shape. $2650 and I thought i did well.

Jim

17. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    im in cali and have seen 9' boats go for more then 500...cant wait to get back to the country:sad2:

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    500 would be a deal, I'll take all that you don't want or don't have room for. I bought my 16' Lowe with trailer and 35hp. for 1500 and thought I stole it. I drove 175 miles to get it, it had been setting for 3 years and a little work and cleaning I haven't touched it since, except for maintance.

19. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sounds like a good deal. I'm probably going to settle for a "bass type" boat this year for all the other kind of fishing I do. It's a small Bass Tracker so it should be decent for all the river fishing I do.

20. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    What I have learned is that good deals don't last long. With that said a couple of years ago I picked up a local paper that comes out on Wed each week. There was a 16 ft wide flat bottom with trailer for $650. Two hours later it was setting in my drive way. It was a 1988 modle Monark and in good condition. I messed around for about a year with a couple of old motors and bought a end of model year clearance Yamaha four stroke 25 hp tiller motor. I have as good of river fishing rig as I could ask for.