Advise for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bogardin1, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bogardin1

bogardin1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Need some advise about channelcat fishing in walkenda creek. I catch a buch but they are a small like 2 onces

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bigger bait and bigger hooks.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    try cut bait or minners...

4. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First of all, I would like to welcome Brice & Brad to the BOC. You guys will find tons of hints and tips to help ya catch the big cats. But better than that, you will find a ton of great people wanting to help ya.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree try some fresh cut bait, shad if you can get it.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I wonder what you are using. Some baits will seem to be hit by small fish. Although my wife catches tiny fish no matter what she does. Dont worry she is not contagious!!! lol I suggest the bigger bait/hook thing. Also vary where you fish and the depth. I think there are nursery areas that small cats congregate and you may have found that spot. Keep trying.

7. bogardin1

bogardin1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use worms and some small hooks dont no wat size the are. thanks for reply keep them coming

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bigger bait and bigger hooks "usually" eliminates the smaller fish, but occasionally an over eager fish will latch on or peck at your bait. Cut bait is another way to target bigger fish since the bigger cats "generally" feed on larger food when available.

All this is well and good but you must first have big fish in the waters to catch them. Not all places hold big fish, and I am totally ignorant about the place you are talking about. Perhaps there are big fish there, but then again it may be heavily harvested and not contain that many big ones.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Try using a 2/0 hook with either cut bait or even a whole nightcrawler or small baitfish on it, that should get you headed in the right direction.

10. bogardin1

bogardin1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Do u think gold fish and night crawlers would work go with a 2/0 hook

11. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I think nightcrawlers with chicken liver on the same hook. I like the whole smargasbord (think thats spelled right) idea, and I usually have pretty good luck with it. Good luck!

12. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    You may want to try useing crawfish. just pinch off the heads or crush the heads. Crawfish are greate for bait in creeks. The bigger the bait the bigger the fish, most of the time.

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Welcome to the BOC Brice.

14. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Hey buddy,

Are you targeting deep holes in this creek? By hole I mean a deep spot. Any idea how deep they are?

When I was a kid I fished a lot of the creeks just miles from my house. I spent years of my childhood fishing them. The biggest, deepest holes with cover ALWAYS had the biggest catfish. These creeks were typically 8 to 12 feet wide, and a hole that was 6 feet deep was very deep for these creeks. The biggest cats here were typically between 5 and 8 pounds; "small water" cats.

As far as bait goes, a goldfish might work for bait, but make sure its legal where you fish because it is illegal to use goldfish in many places/states. What everyone else has said about cut bait and hook size is good advice.

15. trojan2

trojan2 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use shad and worms with a #4 hook just wait for a while an get ready

16. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would try bigger bait like crawfish, cut bait, or frogs.

17. bogardin1

bogardin1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i using gold fish leagel in mo at walkenda creek