Advice please

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by southpaw, Aug 7, 2006.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i was on my way home from the doctor today and i found a place that may harbor some big flats and some big blues. it is a creek that dumps into the main river.toward the back of this creek is a railroad bridge and it has alot of logs and stuff around it.i remebered it when i saw it from a bass tournament that i fished once before.now one is this a good place for flats and blues and how do i fish this thing.i am not used to fishing currents to much.what advice would you give on this?

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have never fished currents ether... sorry

3. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    you can drift with a bobber, or through by the logs useing a decent size weight to hold it on the bottom thats about the only way i know to fish current.

4. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i was comming home from the doctor today and saw a place that might hold some big flats and blues.it is a creek that dumps into the main river.in the back of this creek is a rr trussel.it has alot of logs and trash around it.how do i fish this? i am not used to fishing currents so what would you advise. two what kind of bait for the flats?

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Steve I would get the stoutest rig I have and put a heavy no rol sinker on it and put some thing live on th hook and try to grt it near the log jam might los some ternimal tackle but you might put the snatch on some big ol catfish lips too

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I'm just the opposite - I don't know how to start fishing an area without current. The biggest thing to look for are breaks in the current and places where bait and food are swept into the lairs of the beast so to speak. The backsides of logjams and the downstream side of the trussle pilings would be the first place I'd go. Also take the time to scout around and check the surface for swirls, eddies and seams that indicate something's going on under water. It doesn't take much more than a good sized stump to break the current enough to hold good fish.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have a place like you describe that i fish. I fish offthe bridge abutement toward the river. I toss one rig up into the creek eddie and let it drift into the hole. I pace another rig at the base of the structure, and I place the third rig in the river and let it drift into the eddie. I also tie my poles to someting with enough weight tha tthey won't be pulled in by a fish. I use about 6 ft of 1/4 inch rope so i can lift the pole and fight the fish with out untieing. I also open the bail or loosen the drag so the fish can run, I lose some terminal tackle but hooking a big one is worth it. good luck

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    It sounds like a good spot its got structure and usually any tributary is really good fishing. Start with a ounce wait and keep moving up an ounce until you can find a weight that will keep it on the bottom. You might want to start with a heavier wait depending on the current. Tell us how you do.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I fish the canals around here I pretty much always end up with at least a 3oz. sinker all the way to as much as 5 oz. I just recently started doing this because it keeps the bait where I want it, wich in my limited experience seems to be the most important aspect of fishing tight cover.
    Good luck bro.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Sounds to be more of a flathead habitat to me. I would throw out some large live baitfish around that structure on the bottom. Use a slip sinker rig with about 16 in leader. Good luck

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would get a stout rig,stout line,and a gig ole bait fish and lob it out try to get as close to the jam as possible. Anyway thats whats worked for me except I was using a chunk of bloody beef liver and a night crawler and somethin smaked my pole so hard it's a wonder It didn't break,and don't ya know I lost him,he broke my line!!-----pk powell:crazy:

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, it is prime flathead habitat.
    I generally fish the upstream side of the log jams with fresh cut bait or a live bluegill. Using a slip-rig, cast in front of the log jam and let your bait slip into it (using the current helps to do this). You will need a heavy rod to pull a big one out of there, but I am sure you already know this. I use 7/0 to 10/0 kahles, 80lb leaders, and 40lb mainline.
    PS When fishing for flatheads- if you ain't losing rigs, you are in the wrong place!!!