Advice please

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by southpaw, Aug 1, 2006.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have heard alot about skip jacks as bait.i have used shad as bait and so far have caught a 31 35 and 20 lb blues.with my little boat all i have is a trolling motor.i cant go below the dam.i fish the upper side of the dam.do skipjacks live on the calm side.i fish logan martin lake on the coosa river chain.i have found out when i use a big shad pr big cut bait i catch a big blue but iam having a hard time finding the big shad.pulling my hair out trying to find big baits.also i have heard alot about bream as bait but so far no luck on them.maybe i am not holding my mouth right.i have even tried spitting on the hook.lol any advice somebody acn give me will be greatly appreciated.:crazy:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I would imagine you would be able to find skip jack on both sides of the dam, but it doesnt sound like you've done too bad on the fish so far. Welcome to the BOC!

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Steve,
    I live in Prattville and fish Martin, Jordan, Lay and the Al. River. Shoot me a PM so maybe we can hook up and fish.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I wish I could tell you that they do indeed live on the upper side of dams, but alas, I have never heard of them being caught there. I don't know of anyone who has tried that in years. Most have found that all their success has come from the swift, aerated waters below dams. I can only presume that it has to do with oxygen content. Some are caught where small runoffs or piped overflows come into the rivers. Hot water outlets are a great place to look. The guide, James Patterson, gets them mostly from where a sewage treatment overflow pipe comes into the cove where he launches his boat on the Mississippi River, down by Memphis. I don't fish for them regularly, they mostly come through my area in the spring. Luckily, it seems to be timed about the time that snagging season runs around here in the St. Louis area. Snaggers catch them regularly and throw them back on the bank for me. I show up with several ice chests and fill them all in short order. When I get home, I'll bag them up in freezer bags and save them for the warmer months, in my freezer. As with any cut bait, fresh is better than frozen, but skipjack is oily enough anytime to be great bait.
    Sorry, wish I could have helped more.

5. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for all of the help.i will take a trip to the dam to see i can figure a way to get some skip jacks.i figured that if there were no jacks on the upper side that i may have a new secret weapon to use on the big boys,new smell,new food.i will try to go this weekend.

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    keep us posted on how you do and good luck brother