Advice please

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by liveforcattin08, Jul 24, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    this evening i tryed for some channels with cut bait. i usually use a bigger rod with a circle hook and leave my bait clicker on and have no problems but this time i tryed leaving the reel engaged and puting the rod in a sturdy holder. when a fish would take the rod down and load up but then let go. the circles werent hooking them, tryed two different kinds. any advice, please dont say to use j hooks cause i already know they work, im just trying something new.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive had the same problem from time to time so Im open to suggestions to

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I tryed the circle hook for two months then give them away.Kahle hook for cut bait is the only way I fish now. I had alot of fish load up the rod and it was like the hook pops out of their mouth. If they load up on a kahle hook 99% of the time that fish is in the boat. And as a guide & tournament angler I need fish in the boat An Kahle hooks #2 up to 10/0 puts them there.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use Circles most of the time with my fishing and i rarely have problems hooking the fish... Alot of guys on here will say that you shouldn't have your reel in freespool with the clicker on with circles and i think thats a bit absurd... the fish isn't always going to take the entire bait in its mouth... even the largest guys will grab and want to run a bit to get away from what ever other competition is down there before it eats it... and when you have the reel engaged the fish has little room to run before the bait is either pulled out of its mouth or he rips the bait off the hook... the hook may not even go in its mouth... and then there are people who assume it wasn't a catfish because of that (mostly think it was gar)... I say let the fish run till you think he's got it... with that slight little bit of resistance the hook has a tendency to position itself pretty well anyway when they are pulling... I know that there is a risk of the fish swallowing the bait and only practice and being out on the water alot will tell you when is the right time to engage the reel and let the fish load the rod and really sink that point home...

Just get out and practice... if you have to find a nice little watering hole with tons of bullheads and play around w/ your hooks and when to engage the reel. This will give you a basis and then you'll adjust slightly for blues and channels depending on the day and how they are acting...

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never used Circle hooks on my own rod and reels. We used circle hooks on a party boat fishing for grouper. We caught about 95% of the bites we got. You have to use circle hook for grouper otherwise you risk killing alot of the fish.

We decided to put 5 circle hooks assorted on our 5 jugs, so our total is 25 hooks, 20 j hooks and 5 circle. When we check them on average 2 fish will be on the circle hooks and 2-3 on the j hooks. Thats means about a 40% catch rate on the circles and about 10% on the j hooks. That is on jugs though, we havnt done any catfishing with circle hook on our rods.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I use kahles brother, I have had no luck with circles.

They can hook themselves if you are not paying attention but you can also cross their eyes with em. A great mix between a circle and J hook.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I went to true turns , have had some luck with circles ,but not enough to keep using them .
    Brian

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Larry;
    I look at that MONSTER or at least a "BIGGUNN" your holding in your "pic" and wonder WHY YOUR ASKING FOR ADVICE!!!! :lol: :roll_eyes: :confused2:
    GEEZERS Brother!, I hope when my new Custom GATOR Rod gets here in a few weeks that I catch something even close to the size of that "minnow" you have in your Photo!!! If I do, no matter when or where I am at, there will be a
    yip-YIP-Yooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww in the air!
    But, your asking for advice so here is mine! For what it's worth! :embarassed: I've tried Circle hooks, but I can't get the "Hang of it" using them. I don't know if it's the wrong "style" of Circle hook or what. Perhaps at the "Sept-ParTay" someone will show me how to successfully use them. I've had the best luck with the Khale's, usually from say 7/0 and up to ohhhh, say 10/0 Offset types. I've been using Eagle Claw brand but again, I don't have enough data to say that "Eagle Claw" is better than "Mustad" or "Daiichi" or "Gamakatsu" or vice-versa in any combination. I do know that whatever hook your using MUST be Lethally SHARP to work it's best or otherwise you giving yourself a "cra*shoot". But that is just my opinion.
    Just as a suggestion, you might try hooking up [no pun intended] with one of the Brothers or Sisters that are successful, on a regular basis, and talk with them if your really interested in how to improve you catch ratio. I do know that some of the members swear by Circle Hooks but, as I mentioned above, I'm not one of them.
    Maybe someday I will be good enough to make any hook work and that every "Kat" I haul in will be a 60#+ or better yet,:roll_eyes: "120#+":wink: :smile2: but I'm nowhere near that level yet!
    In all seriousness,
    I Hope some of this helps and I really DO Admire that NICE Catch your holding in your pic!:smile2:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I just started using circles and bought Gamakatsu's because that's the only brand the local tackle shop had in 8/0 with nothing bigger. I'll have to order some 10/0 that I want for the Ohio river. I've been experimenting with the clicker and drag. I've found that if I put the clicker on , leave the reel engaged then back the drag off untill the line will pull off loading the rod quite a bit where there's a good bend in it before line starts to peel off the reel. The fish doesn't have to go far to hook up then I pick up the rod, tighten the drag and start reeling. I may miss about one out of 9 or 10 hits but I think thats a good average.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Circle hooks are fine if the fish hammers the bait but, what do you do if the don't and you need to set the hook yourself (you can't set circle hooks)!!! After using circle hooks for a year and being very dissapointed in them, I went to kahles and never looked back. I tried tru-turns and found that they are way to thin to handle a big fish (would straighten out)! "J" hooks were a mainstay for years because that was all there was for years, it was hard to find "J" hooks that would stay sharp long enough to get the bait in the water. You will be hard pressed to find "J" hooks in my Cat'n tackle box!!! I will use them for catchin bait and that is all!!!

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with Tim and JW good info guys!

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On two of my catting rods I use kahle hooks, but on the third I do use a circle hook. I haven't been doing this often, but I fish at night with no lights. The two main rods have baitclickers on them and I use bigger baits.

Last time I used the circle hook I did have some luck on it, and I think I figured them out (with help from the library article on circle hooks). Make sure the hook point is not in the bait. It must be exposed. I was using 5/0 hooks with a fairly small chunk of bait (1" square). If the fish got the bait in it's mouth, it was a pretty good bet the hook had to be in there too. Once the rod loads up from the fish, pick up the rod and reel it in. Do NOT set the hook.

With your situation, I see a couple of possibilities:
    1. Smaller fish (or other species) that took part of the bait, but didn't get the hook in its mouth.
    2. Some part of the bait was covering the hook point. This will prevent a hookset.

We get this a LOT where I fish and it's the main reason I don't normally use circle hooks. We also have a lot of "light" biting fish, so circle hooks really aren't appropriate here.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds liike you may have had turtles, very small channels, or crayfish pecking at your bait. be careful and do not bury your hook in the bait, just barely hook it to where the only part of the hook that is attached to your bait is the very bottom of the bend. you have to have most of the hook exposed to be effective with circles.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I notice that a lot of people I see on the water using circle hooks and cut bait are using pieces of bait to BIG for the hook. You do not want the bait to completely fill up the center of the hook. If the bait you are using is to big the fish will not get hook. Try useing smaller bait.

15. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    when i fish for flats i use 7/0 diachi circle chunk light with a very big live bait with my reel in feespool and my clicker on, once they start to run i engage the reel and reel fast and i never miss them. but i think i could have had too much cut bait on the hook, one time the rod tip almost was in the water and then popped back up some how? i guess ill try with less cut bait and more hook exposed.

16. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    i went back out and figured that the problem was i was craming to much bait on the hook. i used two shad fillets and hooked each one barely through the end and left most hanging. everytime the rod went down they were on! thanx for the advice.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

that's what makes this place so great we have questions and others have answers. thank you for letting us know that you have solved this problem.