Advice Please-my sonar keeps turning off..

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by stumpjumper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    The last several trips I have had this issue with my sonar (Lowrance LMS 240) being difficult to initially turn on and stay on. However, once it gets past the “loading screen” and actually starts, I can then turn it on and off without any problems for the remainder of the trip. During this initial start up it will usually say “loading” and then just turn off. I can’t imagine it is too cold because the coldest I have been fishing in has been around 30 degrees. All connections are good and clean. I have not yet checked the actual voltage for the power (which needs to be at least 11v for my unit), but the deep cycle battery is only one year old and fully charged when the problem occurs. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced a similar problem? Thanks

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I had a problem with my 332c about a year after I bought it and there was a recall on the power button for the batch mine came from. Mine would just turn on all by itself. They sent me a new unit. My unit stayed in the box for the first six to eight months I had it or the problem might would have shown up sooner. You might want to call Lowrance and tell them what is going on and see if there is a know problem with that unit. If not they can tell you what it takes to get it fixed.

Thanks
    David

Thanks
    David

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    A weak battery will do the same thing.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well, just checked with a voltage meter and I am good. I hate to part with it for even a week! Could move it to the front and upgrade...if I had the $$. I have taken such good care of it, sucks.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i have had 3 -332's with the same problem until they sent me a 337 and now its doing the same damn thing.they also told me it was the keypad frying out.getting pretty frustrating but i am loyal to lowrance due to their customer service and their helpful website.
    stumpjumper,that has happened to me before and cust. svc told me to disconnect power from back of unit,wait 5 minutes,plug back in and power back on.it worked for me and has not happened since.hope thats all it takes for you

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    My Dad had the opposite problem with his. He'd turn it off and go about his business and the next time he got ready to go fishin his battery would be deader than a door nail. Found out that his unit was coming back on by itself and was draining his battery. Don't know what he finally did about it tho. Think he sent it back and they sent him a new one.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have the same problem, dunno if it is the wind etc? i have a cd player that will just come on...lol...in the boat, so i unhook the pos. cable now when i get home:tounge_out: rollo

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Since they replaced mine the one time I haven't had that problem again. Now that i think about it I changed everything around and put cut off switches on everything (radio, fish finders, etc) to remove any chance of battery drain. I don't need memory on the clock on the darn CD player.:smile2: The only time the power is switched on is when the boa tis in the water. I turn the switch off when the Lowrance unit is not in use. So I would not know if it is still doing it. That is the only thing it would do. Just come on all by itself, but everything would still work like it was suppose to.:confused2::eek:oooh::crazy: they did send me a new 332c after it was out of warranty and added a 90 day warranty to the new unit. I thought that was pretty darn good service. Had almost forgot about it until I read this thread. So it must have been pretty painless not to leave a scar.:smile2::roll_eyes:

Thanks
    David

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well, the tech folks told me, based on my detailed description that (w/o doubt) the unit was going bad and, "there is nothing they could do about it". That they quit making that unit in 2002 (when I got it) and it was time to upgrade. I have had an old school Eagle since 1991 and it still works. Does not seem like after, not even 6 years, it would die. Oh well, I already ordered a new one for next week. Thanks for all your comments.