Advice on Water Snakes

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Matth2083, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey guys..Ive been meaning to mention this for a while..but just recently its gotten me a little spooked. Last time I was out on the lake I was bank fishing and had a few close encounters. We fish on the bank and try to stay as quiet as possible, but It seems to be only about every 10-15 minutes where a snake just cruises right in front of our spot. One or two a night is fine, but one every 10 minutes keeps me a little on edge. I dont figure they'll bother me unless I provoke em. But still wondering if there's any lake snake knowledge out there to either stay safe or just keep em the heck away.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Matt I am not sure where other than NC your at but 9 out of 10 time what you are seeing is a blotched or banded water snake if it is in the water and it is hanging around to eat the small fish drawn to the light. Up there you also have a Crawford water snake as well. None of these will hurt you unless you trip all over your self running from them…. LOL They are harmless. Now if a thick bodied black or brown snake with a neck much smaller that it head and body comes around then you have a little something to get worried about , that would be a moccasin or copper head, those can deliver a very bad bite and cause a lot of pain. There is not much you can do to keep them out of your fishing spot other than keep the area clean so you can see them coming. You will heard about moth ball and horse hair rope and such but a snake does not smell like we do nor does it have ears so noise and stinky stuff don’t work well to keep them away. Just remember most people are bitten trying to kill or catch a snake just leave them along and they will leave you along for the most part.

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    matt water snakes r harmless like gator said. the olny sure fire way to keep them out of your fishing spot is to make vibration but in doing so u'll more then likely scare off the fish..

another thing you could kill the snake and use it for cat fish bait it workd pretty good just cut ut up like you would anyother cut bait

DUSTY
    U.S.M.C. ALUMNI

COURAGE = DOING THE RIGHT THING WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Personally I'm only scared of two kinds of snakes.The BIG ones and the LITTLE ones.Leave them alone and they will do likewise for the most part.The one thing that no snake can stand is gasoline NOT that I recommend sitting next to the campfire with a cupful of gas at the ready.

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

chances are as long as you can see them they arent going to bother you
    probably drawn by the light.BUT if you start getting a strong smell like
    cucumbers you are to close to copperheads. :eek:
    KIRK

6. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    There is only one good kind of snake in my book. Dead ones. If I had that many coming by where I was fishing, I'd have to stop fishing there. LOL

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Snake have many great use’s such as rodent control. They are great at keeping en-laws and other unwanted pest out of your house just keep one in the living room…… LOL

8. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I live up near the great lakes. Me and my bro go fish erie 1 or 2 times a year. I'm not one that is scared of snakes at all. I usually try and catch them.1 time last year while fishing in the marinas I seen the most amount of water snakes i thought possible. They were everywhere sunning themselves in tree branches on rocks on peoples boats and docks. We even seen many a bilge pump hole with 3 or 4 snake heads sticking out. We'd be fishing and every 2 minutes or so we would have to swat them in the water to keep them from trying to climb in our boat. That was one of the most freaky things I have ever seen. Most snakes are more scared of us than we are with them. As long as you don't provoke them they will leave you alone.

9. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I heard, water moccasins are very aggressive.

Jaime

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Water snake are harmless and it takes a fool to bother them. If you harm these poor ceatures may lions feed on your heart. Ok may thats a bit much but still they won't bother you.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I know the snakes here in NC will drop from trees into your boat if your not carefull, and they just dont sit still when they land in there. Ask Mark J he said he had a lot of .45 holes in his boat when one fell out of a tree. It depends what kind of snakes they are, I would reccommend getting a book that can identify what kind it is, and if its a deadly one you need to find somewhere else to fish.

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Water shakes are harmless? BULL HOCKY!!! Where I come from 9 out 10 water snakes is a cotton mouth moccasin and they are NOT harmless.They can and will bite while under water and anyone who wants to take the chance of under estimateing how dangerious they are needs to carry some snake bite antivenom with them.

13. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    here in southeast new mexico, on the pecos theres bizillions usually red ones and green ones i think i saw some yellow ones, i'll watch them feed on minnows while i wade and fish, they are harmless i suppose, meaning the poisonous snakes here are easy to identify, various rattle snakes (triangular heads) and coral snakes, no copperheads or moccisans here, but alot of people dont realize is rattlesnakes swim too!!!!! gotta watch for them,

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was down at lock 2 at the cape fear about a month ago and while I was driving by the front of the ramp I look at the water and there was about a 5 1/2-6' water moccasin swimming right at the boat. Ever since then I have a 2 1/2' machette in the boat just in case one ever came aboard and tried to claim the boat as his. Those things are extremely dangerous. I soppose if you leave them alone and stay away from them its fine but those kind of snakes ARE aggressive and they WILL come after you, so watch out.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    This is right out of an encyclopedia,

water moccasin or cottonmouth, highly venomous snake , Ancistrodon piscivorus, of the swamps and bayous of the S United States. Like the closely related copperhead, it is a pit viper and has a heat-sensitive organ for detecting warm-blooded prey. The young are born live. The young snake is a pale reddish brown with transverse dark brown bands edged with white; as it ages the colors dull to a blotched olive or brown and then to an unmarked olive or blackish in old specimens. The maximum length is 6 ft (2 m), the average from 3 to 4 ft (90-120 cm). A good climber, the water moccasin often relaxes on branches overhanging the water. If startled it erects its head and shows the white interior of its mouth—hence the name cottonmouth. It eats both warm-blooded and cold-blooded animals. It is aggressive in the wild state but may become quite tame in captivity. It is classified in the phylum Chordata , subphylum Vertebrata, class Reptilia, order Squamata, family Crotalidae.

16. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

A Water Moccasin doesn't bother me so much as a Copperhead due to the fact that they seem to be less aggresive. The Copperhead will come after you if aggitated and once it bites you it will keep on biting you until you quit wiggling! A very aggresive critter that usually don't get much longer than 2 feet long in these parts, but it will kill you if given the oppourtunity. I've seen folks loose body parts due to their bite, Then again I've seen folks walk on water trying to avoid them!

17. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I agree with Joe, although I really don't like those cottonmouths either. We always had to watch out for em while fishing as they would be hanging in Willow trees and scare the heck out of you. You would be busy fishing and happen to turn your head and there it would be about a foot or two away. Never got bit though and those copperheads scare me more than the moccasins, especially the little ones.

18. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Jeremy,
    Those little ones you are talking about are the most dangerous! What's more scarey than a Copperhead? I'll tell ya it's when the kids are pokin' their rod tips at their heads sticking up out of the water! That would ruin any perfect trip quickly...
    The most dangerous snake is the... Ready for this! CopperheadedRattleMoccasin! Now that's a critter! :D

19. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Wow, thanks for all the advice guys..that was a lot of responses quick. I guess I just need to depend on my knowledge of which snakes are in my specific area as well as minding my own business and just focusing on fishing. However, I think I should def. invest in a mechete. Cant hurt right. Oh yeah, I might skip trying to kill em and use for cutbait bluecatnut,I think you got more nerve than me in the middle of the night. but good to know the cats will still hit it. Thanks guys.

20. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Matt I was catfishin' one night on a small river close to my home and had a good stringer full when I let the end of the stringer slip from my hand.I was standing on the bank watching my stringer full of cats go down stream.Where I was fishing the river wasn't but 2 1/2 feet deep so I grabed my coleman lantern and jumped in.I was about to catch up with the stringer when a cotton mouth serficed between me and the stringer and it didn't take me long to make up my mind on what to do,I let that snake have the river and the stringer and picked up my gear and went home :eek: .