Advice on the Maumee River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by doesntdohomework, Jul 13, 2008.

1. doesntdohomework

doesntdohomework New Member

State:
    OH
    Hey guys. I ran into Smokin' joe from this sight and he was full of great advice yesterday for the maumee but I'm looking for any help I can get. I'm from virginia and tennessee orginally so most of my fishing have been flounder, football heads, Largemouth, Small mouth and smaller stuff like Perch, crappie, croaker/spot.

Anyway, Last summer I took the canoe I had built down the maumee just below grand rapids and found this spot where I kept seeing catfish jump broad daylight. Flatheads running upwards of 30 pounds kept jumping. Anyway, we managed to pull one in(we had bass/bluegill rods so it was a challenge!) and he weighed in at 24. Since then I've been pretty set on catching some more flatheads. My buddy justin and I have been going up to the maumee entrance way just before turkey foot creek. We've been fishing the bottom with bluegill/crawlers. We hear it's a great spot but we've been having no luck. Any advice you have regarding places to fish from the shore(I no longer have a boat), bait, tackle would be greatly appreciated.

I realize spots are highly guarded so i'm no looking for anything secret, just general advice. :)

Thank s amillion an thanks again to smokin' joe for all the help yesterday.

2. doesntdohomework

State:
    OH
    OH yeah and for smokin' joe.. We got a bite on that catfish you had me use for bait, as soon as the flathead started hitting some really drunk guys showed up and put their lights right on the baloon! :crazy: Needless to say the rod went limp. Hopefully better luck tonight.

3. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Those drunks were still there when we got back. We went back out and got a 25 1/2 and 17 lber. One of the drunks was argueing with me that the 25 1/2 was a channel cat. We had to turn and walk away from him cause he was so drunk and argueing we thought he was going to start throwing punches, which would have been a big mistake as not only would he have got his butt stomped into the ground but then I would have called my ranger buddies. Bad I dea to start trouble with people that are on first name basis with the rangers. When you are drunk as hell on park land and I am against drinking, it's a bad idea to cross me.
    Not only was the guy drunk but dumb as hell too. told us all about how he catches 50 lb channels all the time. The dummy kept insisting the river was a lake and only a few miles long. It was only 20 miles to the lake and 50 miles to the state line so thats almost a 2 mile lake. This was the second time we ran into those yahoos and next time will be the last, I will make that phone call, 3 strikes and your out. I told them before about the lights and when we got back they had the radio full blast too. 2 weeks ago I told them to stay away from us with that light and not bring it any closer than 50 yards to where we were fishing or they would fish it out of the river.
    Glad to hear you had a hit on the set up I fixxed you up with. Keep that stuff in mind when you go and get tackle and think big. The little stuff you were using at first was good for bait and small fish but isn't much good for big fish. And if you keep at it you'll end up with some big ones. I set you on a good spot so don't be telling people where I had you at. Everyone else that fishes there fishes somewhere else. Good luck and maybe run into you again sometime.

4. doesntdohomework

State:
    OH
    Yeah, glad we weren't the only one to deal with them. We bought som 5/0 and 3/0 hooks and 1-3 ounce weights. I have to go pick up some balloons before we go out again. I'm sure I'll bump into you sometime this summer. Take care!

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Welcome to the BOC. Forgot to tell you other post.

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    welcome to the boc man

7. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome to the BOC, I believe I talked to the two of you last week up at the dam, good luck finding the flats brother