Advice on rod holders

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am looking to upgrade my rod holders over the three months of off season. What do you guys think? I have a 14 foot deep-v W/ a floor in it, i usually fish lakes but ill be heading to rivers next season. I need some help with the brand I should go with, styles and sizes also. I have really thought about going with the driftmaster pro duo, but im not sure about which mount I should use, side or flat? Just thought you guys could tell me some opinions and help me make my decision. Money is not unlimited but i can manage a couple hundred on the total system. I just want the highest quality possible.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Brother you NEED Monster Rod Holders. There are none better. These are 1/2 inch steel holders and Made in America! You can not get a better deal either. dual angle holders for the price of those other rodholders you are talking about!:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let me just say, set your boat up to be comfortable for how you fish!:wink: rollo

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Monster's are the way to go.They also offer an optional quick change base.Also go to the site and they have special pricing on buying multiple holders , the more you buy the bigger the discount.The best thing is the quality and they have a big oppening for any style of fishing you choose.Just check out all the good feedback on here about them.They also have several youtube videos out there showing them in action.Just go to www.monsterrodholders.com and check them out, you will not be dissapointed.:wink:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Can't hardly beat the tried and true driftmaster 1/2" pro duo's!

The type of mount you use is going to be dependent on your boat. If your gunnels are flat on top and at least 2 inches wide go with the flat base. I'd use rivnuts to install them and they'll never go anywhere!:wink:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  6. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I have driftmaster pro duo's on my boat and love them!!! if you can, save yourself some money and make your own mounts a piece of flat bar and a 1/2 nut is all you need. much cheaper then buying them over priced mounts driftmaster sells.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have 10 of the 1/2" Driftmaster Duo Pros on my 17 ft'r, i LOVE them, Perfect for angled rods with circles and the straight out for clickers, A quick search on Fee-bay and look for the striper tackle guy, he sells bases and holders cheaper then Driftmaster does, money well spent!! Send me a PM if you cant find who I am talking about

Good luck
    Salmonid

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tite-Lok's!

(They are also a sponsor of the BOC)

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    I love the driftmasters but that is just my opinion............go with what YOU think is best for your situation !!!

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Man you have to go with what you think will make you happy , but monster rod holders are some sweet , dependable rod holders . They are priced right and once you get one in your hand you never want any other kind , These are bad to the bone and look great on any boat . I own monster rod holders and they are awesome .

11. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    I think rodholders are just like all other fishing gear. Everybody has a different opinion and some are favored to what they have been using for a long time.If you know a few people with different types see if you can check them out for yourself. You can spend from a couple bucks for the chinsy cheap kind or pay out big bucks for over priced ones that you may not be satified with.Believe me I spent a fortune on a setup that was nowhere near worth the price to me, but they came highly recommended.

12. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Monster Rod Holders! Can't beat em! :wink:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trying to tell someone to buy a certain product is not always easy. Buy what will benefit your type of fishing. I can tell you what my next rod holders will be. I'm looking to buy the triple action Monster rod holders. The versatility of these triple action covers the whole spectrum of fishing.

14. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks alot for the input guys

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If you are planning on fishing rivers and lakes both , you might want to consider fabricating a system that you can move from the back of the boat for river fish to the front of the boat for lake fishing.. I like most of my rods on the from and sides of the boat for lake fishing. hope this helps.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have Driftmaster Duo Pros on my boat and love them. I have the 3/8 inch and wish they were 1/2 inch but only cause I have broken a few on the garage..... well my guys did.... I can drive better than that! When I bought mine, I was not aware of the mosters or they had not been invented yet. They look VERY similar in style. I like the idea of the wider gap cause I have one Tiger rod that kinda squeezes in there and I LOVE the idea of the quick directional change over trying to figure out where to stop the wing nut on the Driftmaster. That said, they seem to be similarly priced.