advice on rod and reels?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 514th, Jun 10, 2008.

1. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    I use an 8 foot medium heavy berkley big game rod, and an okuma avenger spinning reel with the bait clicker function. it works fine on large channel cats for me in arizona, but am unsure if it will handle a good size flat head. i know most people use big baitcasting equipment.

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    that will work just fine. i have the same rod. i got a shakespear alpha spinnin reel spooled with 50lb spider wire. yours oughta handle a good sized flathead. them fishing rods have plunty of backbone to pull the fish outs them deep snags withought breaking. handle goodin the current with a no rol sinker too.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

what model reel do you have

alls i use is shakespeare stuff and not to many people that i know of use them ( atleast not on here ) :smile2:

4. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    its a shakepear alpha p2560 spooled with 150 yds of spiderwire braid on an 8ft berkley biggame serious med/heavy action. i could cast a country mile with this setup. all i use is shakepeare rods as for reels i do like to stay with shakespear but i have a quantum snapshot reel that is really good.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i consider that company to be "DISPOSIABLE" because i have a shakespeare tiger spinning combo that i got for $20 and with a slight adjustment to the reel im going to try to use it for flathead fishing...... im going to put 25lb BBG on it and use it for striper fishing AND flathead fishing as well......

i want to try braid but the coverage here is so bad im very very sure that ill be wasting me money..... a 2lb striper will wrap u around a stump or run around the rocks so braid wont stand a chance ( ive seen 40 lb mono grated by a striper around the cable while pier fishing )

the way we go through line around here i dont wanna try it

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive got a Berkley Big game BGC661MH but its a baitcast model and Ive caught a 21lb flat on it and it worked well. I would think the spinning ones would be just as good.

7. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think alot of the answer lies in - where and how you are fishing for flatheads. It's important to remember that when flathead fishing arounds stumps or logjams for big flatheads you really need a high pound test fishing line - I don't fish with less than 50 pound test when chasing flatheads. You want to be able to pull him out of the cover and get him out of it quick or else you will be wrapped or hung. If your reel can hold that diameter line and has a decent drag system on it, you should have no problems. If your reel doesn't have a decent drag, well again, you will get wrapped or hung or spooled. Remember that people catch big blue marlins on 4 pound test but they have thousands of yards of line and a good reel and that allows them to play the fish until tired but they are out in the wide open ocean whereas flatheads usually dwell around cover and when they know they are hooked, they like to go right back to the cover. Use good line with a high pound test and tighten your drag up a little more than usual when chasing flatheads - ultimate answer will come when you hook one and the fight is on!

I use a baitclicker, abu garcia 6500c3 or a 7000 series - they aren't big but they have great drag systems and can hold over 150 yards of the 50 pound test line I use.

Sounds like you have plenty of rod for the job!

Let us know when you land and/or lose that first big flathead!

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    be very carefull about the tip guide on those berkly big game rods..they are made of soft metal and will get grooves which will cut your line.

9. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I think what you have will work fine just check your line and retie if in doubt. Also set your drag so you can pull out line when fighting a fish if need be!

10. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    good thing you metioned this i was looking at them tips and they are pretty dang soft. but they do poke the eyeballs good enuf. i have mine in my basement bedroom, walked in the door and bam right in the ol eyeball. i think a solution to this tip cuttin problem would to wrap some electrick tape around the end. not alot but just enought to last a couple trips, this way you can change the tape alot easier than you can a tip and it only cuts into the tape and you know when to change it. dont know if it would work but i thought i would throw that idea out there.

11. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas

yea they do make some disposable but i know a guy that can order me good quality shakespear stuff right from the company. just a question not trying to be mean or anything but if youve seen 40lb mono grated by a striper why would you want to put 25lb big game on it?

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i ment to say braid

i forgot this thread was on here

13. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes that setup will handel a big flathead. i use a 10ft daiwa beefstick rod and a okuma avenger abf 50 spinning reel with 65 lb power pro braid and ive caught flats up to 50 lbs on this setup.