Advice on reciever hitch

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by jga, May 4, 2007.

1. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anyone else had this problem? I have 92 F-150 4x4 shortbed that has been difficult to fit a reciever hitch on. I purchased a universal hitch a few years ago that didn't fit the frame rails properly due to a narrow lip on the frame and a rear crossmember that seems to be in the way. I had a buddy TIG weld the hitch onto my frame which held up well until the other day when pulling a car on my trailer and the welds let go. Needless to say I went shopping for a new hitch and couldn't find one specifically for my make and model. Eventually settling for another brand of universal hitch w/ applications for my truck, and low and behold it doesn't fit either. I was considering bolting some angle iron on the sides of the frame rail to give the frame a much larger lip to bolt the hitch to, but any advice or experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I'm pretty sure Reese makes a direct fit hitch for that model. Never have had a problem with there products not fitting properly. You should be able to find a auto parts store that deals in their products. They may have to order one for your application. You may be able to fabricate the universal one to fit, but you will probably have more money and time in it then its worth.

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you can also try U-Haul, they have or can get the hitch for your vehicle

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Those universal hitches are kind of backwards.
    Buy the hitch and then go shopping for a vehicle it will fit on.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I believe Reese is what I have on my truck. Go to a truck accessory shop and let them look in their books for a matching hitch. Also let them install it so if there is any problems, they can make the adjustments needed.
    I use muffler shop that sells and install truck accessories. They have always matched my trucks with the right parts. Even the wiring for the hitch. Plugs into the factory taillights.
    No cutting/splicing into wires. They guarantee the work. Never a problem for me on their choice and work and I have pulled some heavy loads.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just went to the reese website and they have bolt on hitches for your vehicle, not sure what class you want but I looked at the class 3&4 and it says it takes 30 minutes to install. My truck came from the factory with a class 4 hitch and I can tow a lot, I believe up to 9500lbs with 1000 or a little more tongue weight. Not sure what you will try to tow but a class 4 should be more than enough for that kind of truck.

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Being retired from an auto claims job, I can tell you that it's best to let a reputable business install your hitch. You will have someone else involved (with high liability coverage) with you in defending a law suit when the hitch comes lose and someone is severely injured or killed.

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I bought a class 4 hitch to fit my minivan at at an auto parts store.

9. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think will probably let a qulified person install it and save me the headache and wasted time and money.