Advice on my first boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by micah5634, Oct 20, 2006.

1. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Iam looking to buy my first boat today i looked at a 1754 grizzly from basspro this one is not the package it's just a plain jon boat with no floor i can buy it with a trailer and a 2007 mercury 40 hp 4 stroke fuel injection.
    for 7500.00 all brand new seems like a good deal to me.

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    my first boat was a grizzly and i was not impressed,very poor quality control...if it was me,i would also price some other rigs.xpress,g3,sea ark,just to name a few

3. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    CHECK OUT THIS: www.legendcraft.com

It is a small allwelded boat built in Alexander Arkansas. They have dealers all over. Good luck. Not familiar with Grizzly , But had bad experiences with Basstrackers.

4. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Most guys buy boats that they wish in less than a year they had got the longer,wider,bigger,and more power. Don't get two foot idas in a year.Buy the bigger,wider, longer,more power,the first time around......U won't regret it..........beartrap and buoy:wink:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are willing to spend that amount of money I would have to check out the used market. It's getting the time of year where you can find good used boats at a decent price. Let someone else take the big hit pulling it off the lot.

Check around local dealers in the dead of winter when boat sales are dead.
    You might strike up a pretty good deal on a boat you thought was out of reach.

6. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Priced a sea ark 1660 with a 40 hp suzuki 4 stroke with center console for 11000.00 and a g3 1756 with center console and a 50 hp 2 stroke yamaha for 11400.00 for some reason i really like the looks of a center console boat.xpress 1756 with 50 hp yamaha 2 stroke is 11600.00.going tommorrow to look at a used 17ft xpress with a 60 hp mercury its a 2004 model for 7995.00 hope it looks like new.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I know where there is a nice used 18' lowe roughneck for sale. 50HP merc 2 stroke. color lowrance fishfinder and 6 driftmasters. located in the KC area if thats not to far to drive. price is well below what your currently looking at. I've fished out of this rig several times it would make an excellent first river/cattin boat. PM Me if interested.

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I had a Grizzly 1654 SC. I made Tracer buy it back, it spent more time in the shop than out!

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ..................................Buy Wide..............................

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd probably buy a Lowe before I'd buy a Tracker. But I probably wouldn't buy either one; they're both at the low end of the quality spectrum. I own an 18ft Xpress (HD18SC) and it's not really that much better than the Lowe or Tracker boats as far as quality - thin paint, sloppy welds, poor fit & finish, etc. -- if quality matters, you'll need to look a bit farther up the price scale.

But before you get set on center vs side console, etc., spend some time thinking about exactly where and how you want to fish out of your new boat. Buying a boat that doesn't match your needs and intended use will irritate you every time you go fishing.

Do you fish rivers where you need to have rod holders at the rear of the boat? If so, where will you sit in your boat while waiting for your rods to bend over and slap the water? What if you want to take a buddy or two? Is there room?

Will you use a front and rear casting deck if you have them? Unless you're fishing for something other than catfish, the front cast deck is nearly worthless.

Is 17 ft big enough for your needs? I can tell you my 18 ft Xpress isn't nearly big enough - not necessarily because of the overall length of the boat but because of all the wasted space.

Is a 54 inch floor wide enough? If you go with a center console, how much room do you have on both sides? Enough to walk around comfortably, or do you have to shuffle past the console carefully?

11. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you are going to equip it with a trolling motor you may want to upgrade and get the one with the depth finder transducer already built in. From what I have been reading it saves a lot of grief. I just bought a 16 ft Alumacraft navigator yesterday and upgraded the trolling motor and also the depth finder. Everyone recommended a color over the black/white.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't get a trolling motor W/ a built in transducer. There are several reasons.

1. if You have trouble with the trolling motor and have to send it in You have no sonar.
    2. If you have trouble with the transducer and have to send it in You have no trolling motor.
    3. The crystals in the transducer deteriorate after a couple of seasons. if you want top notch performance from Your sonar you would have to buy a new motor every 2-3 years.....ouch

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    one other thing about Center Console vs side console.

I have always used a side console or tiller steer boat.
    I tried my buddies Center Console boat and it wasn't comfortable to me standing and if I sat down you couldn't see.

I expect the CC might be a little drier at times though.

14. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    couple of other things I have learned over the years.
    I bought a new bass boat back in 1996 and have really enjoyed it.

I didn't have a garage for it and have not always done a good job of keeping it covered.

The result is bad carpet, faded paint, cracked seats issues with electronics from time to time, all little things.

If you don't have a garage, think about low maintenance interiors (little carpet, removable seats) and ways to protect your items.

Like the guys here said, unless you are navigating small waters, the boat will never be large or fast enough, though I think I would sacrifice speed for size.

15. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    going saturday to look at a sea ark 1860 and a g3 1756 both with center console i think iam going to go with suzuki on the motor now till dec 31 you get a 3 year extended warranty for free for a total of 6 years on the 4 stroke hard to pass that up.Iam thinking about a 50 hp.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    With a center console you'll lose floor space but gain a little storage space in most cases.

To me standing while piloting is more comfortable from the standpoint my legs are the shock absorbers instead of my butt sitting on a seat.
    I do like a leaning post, which a good leaning post has storage in it. A good place to store terminal tackle.

A center console better balances a boat especially if you fish alone.

The other reason I like center consoles is fishability. I can fish all the way around the boat without changing elevations or interference from a fixed item like a console. Saltwater fishing taught me the value of this.

And lastly, I love a T-top, not a soft bimini top but a real T-top.
    It gets the electronics up off the console and more in the line of sight for me. Meaning , Shifting my eyes up to look at electronics is easier then looking down and I dont lose touch entirely with what is going on in front of me.

It gets the rods above the fishermen. No more tripping over rods or falling into rods. Rocket launchers can also be used for tightlining. Again the rods are over your head and out of the way.
    You can double stack lines. 2-4 rods of the back of the boat at gunnel level and the same up top in the rocket launchers.

All the way around I think its a better fishing platform and more conforming to different fishing techniques.

The nickname for a center console is "wet boat". It's derived from offshore fishing in rough water. When that spray comes over the bow you are right in the line of fire.:lol:

17. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    both of those are good boats,i have the 1860cc g3 with a 4 stroke yamaha,and love it

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The free extended warranty gimmick is commonly used during boat show season (Jan-Mar) as a sales ploy. As it turns out, there's really only a few months of the year when you can buy most new motors *without* getting the extended warranty...

Still, it's worth considering and if you have to choose between a brand that offers the free warranty and one that doesn't, the choice is pretty obvious...

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The boat Brad is talking about is mine. It's still for sale it's a 2003 lowe 1860, with a 2004 50hp merc. PM me if you wanna know more about it.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks good idea:big_smile: