Advice on my Dodge

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by kscatman, Mar 20, 2007.

1. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Hey guys maybe one of you that is alot more mechanically inclined, can steer me in the right direction with a problem I'm having. I recently bought a 1999 dodge durango with a 360. It ran great with no problems until a couple of weeks ago. I went to jthe carwash and it stalled right after I left. Whatever got wet it was alright after 30 min of drying and it ran fine. Now whenever it rains or the humidity gets high it wont start. It fires right up and runs perfect as long as it is dry outside. What do you think this could be? I was thinking it could be a cracked distributer cap. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    yeah thats what cam to mind when when you said you was at the carwash. i would change that and go from there. good luck

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME THING TO ME. GOOD LUCK

4. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Sounds like it's cracked , open the distributor cap spray it down with WD-40. that should get you going.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had to chuckle on your problem. Years ago in the 60s, Chrysler products would not start if a dog pee ed on your hubcap. lol lol I used to spraw the wires with a product called wire dry. It would last about a year. WD 40 will do the same thing, spray your wires and cap. It will get rid of moisture.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Replace, the distributor cap. the contacts are worn and spread too far apart. it'll start arcing when it gets damp out. may i also suggest plugs, wires, and a rotor at the same time??? I work at a Chrysler/jeep dealership this is MY playground. :big_smile: ohh and when you start having a problem with intermittent dying, or idle quality. coupled with perhaps an oil consumption issue. come see me, i'll have a fix for that.

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sure sounds like Psychomekanik hit the nail on the head with your problem. Spraying WD-40 on stuff is just masking the problem not fixing it.

I bet that other issue you mentioned Psychomekanik might have a little something to do with a hidden gasket. Took me a little while to figure that one out the first time around. LOL.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mark / Jason,
    Have they STILL not come up with a fix for that poxy inlet manifold gasket or are the leaky old originals still showing up?...W

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What gasket are you talking about metalman? the t-stat housing gasket? if so, dodge is still using the same old one. but, aftermarket companies have come out with a more rigid t-stat housing. if your talking about the lower plenum gasket, which jason is refering to, (under the intake) yes they're still using the same design. heck it lasts 50K or so. lol i also use some spray adhesive to tack it down real good. so it dont slide.

10. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I have a Dodge diesel, they use o rings on the thermostat and on the water pump! Sure is nice to work on.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ya', but they stiiiiink ! lol.

12. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Thanks fellas!! It turned out to be a bad coil wire. I'm up and running strong again.