Advice on Line Choice!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ste6168, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a smaller reel (rated for 340yds of 12lbs.) so I have already made up my mind on going braid. I just need your recommendations on what to use as a leader. I am going to go either 50lbs or 65lbs Sufix Performance Braid and Berkely Big Game Leader. What lbs. text would work good as a leader? I am thinking either 30lbs leader if I go 50lbs braid, or 40lbs leader if I go 65lbs braid.

Ideally I want to set up my rod/reel as follows:
    12lbs or 15lbs Trilene XL mono, backing ~10yds (enough to cover the spool once)
    &
    50lbs or 65lbs Sufix Performance Braid, main line ~250yds
    &
    30lbs to 50lbs Berkley Big Game, abrasion resistance leader ~40yds

I just do not know what the best picks for lbs test would be the best to use. What would you all suggest for me?

2. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I have found that I really don't like braid at all. I have tried it a few times, not only is it expensive the is no stretch and it is not very abrasion resistant. I have snapped 65# braid on a fish and then later that night caught the fish he was only 32" that had 30yds of braid in his mouth. If you do go with braid I would go with at least 65# test and use at least a six foot leader of some 40+ # test mono to give the line a little stretch, if the leader is too short you will snap 40# easy on a small fish striking. Another thing with braid is that it is so limp that it gets between the rocks and when you snag you CAN NOT break the stuff just pulling on it and you will lose a considerable piece of line, which can cost you $30, it is not worth it to me. The only time I use braid is as if the fish are in the super fast current coming over the dams, the thin line cuts through the current better and there is less drag. Hope this helps ya. I would buy a larger reel to stick to mono, you will probably come out on top of the cost after you pay $30 for your braid, and then break 30yds off it and have to go buy more braid. I have heard of a new type of braid that is coming out that is supposed to have more stretch, I will do some research and get back to you. Good luck making a choice. You may want to try suffix mono it is alot thinner than most monofilement and casts like a dream.

3. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I to am a hater of braids...I have snapped 50lb PPro on the hook set, and have snapped many a lines on logs and rocks with the stuff......I am a fan of 30-40lb mono and I really like 80lb Dacron....Just my $.02

4. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    before i found this site i went to the other fishing site i am a memeber of and asked the guys what they use for there big fish every one raved about power pro 30# so i went out and spooled 2 reels and i dnt like it at all prob the worst thing ive spent cash on>> going back to mono just havnt figured out what kind but ill learn from your post..

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m using suffix 30# mono now ,it has a smaller diameter than other 30# mono and is very castable, it`s good stuff.

6. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I like ANDE 25-50# its IGFA approved so you know that it will do what it says it will do. That suffix is great line but I can only find it in 330yd spools witch only spools my rod once and leaves me with 100yds of unusalbe line, compared to the ANDE which is 550yd for the same price, so I go with the ANDE and I spool my channel cat rods with the suffix.

7. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    well take this as ya may lol but im running 65 lb powre pro braid with about 8 foot 60 lb berkly big game mono for a leader uni to uni knot from braid to mono swivel then 18 to 24 inches of the 60 lb mono again i havent had a problem Yet and i have pulled in some pretty big fish this year i think the 33lb channel was my toughest fight but i have pulled in a 46lb flat with no problem.... if i get snaged my braid will break before the mono usualy 3 to 4 inches before the know... the only reason i know this is i lost a fish in a snag and then an hour later cought him and got my old set up back :cool2:.. i use the braid cause it cast Sooo much better with a spinning reel ... but like you have heard before you have to use whats Right for YOU !

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok, so after doing some more research on this topic. I am a little bit lost. Is 50lbs Braid going to be the same "strength" (and strength only, ignoring other factors such as stretch, abrasion resitance, etc) as 50lbs mono. or is one stronger than the other? :eek:oooh:

9. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think I have made up my mind. I am going to go about 275yds of 50lbs Sufix Performance Braid, uni-to-uni knot, and about 15yds of 40lbs Berkley Big Game. Both in green. Hopefully I will like the setup!

10. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    one question for you.. im guessing your using a Spinning reel?? ... that 15 yards of mono might be rough... i had the same plan but the Mono Just dont cast well for me i found out if i use around 8 foot of mono just enough so the mono does not spool on my reel i cast fine but if i get even 1 wrap on the spool i cant cast nearly as far... but hey you may not have the same problem :big_smile: just something to think about or even try out for your self and see witch suits ya best.

11. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I mainly use baitcasters for cats so I really don't have the problem with the casting of mono, heavy mono seems to get coiled up on spinning reels. Shawn I am surpised you use the braid, I never really liked it. But like you said use what you are comfortable with. It seems to be working for ya. As for me I am sticking with mono.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to use braid as well. I was having some problems with the #50 PP but since I went to #100 PP I haven't been broke off yet and when I get a snag I will usualy bend or break the hook before I break my line.I use #100 PP to a uni-uni knot with about 10ft of #80 Andy leader to a #100 barrel swivel to a 10"-12" of #80 Andy leader to a 7/0 kahle hook. I have cought 6 fish over #30 last month and didn't have any problems ripping them out of cover and landing them.

13. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

Yes, I am using a spinning reel. Thanks for the advice, when the line gets here I will test out a few different setups until I can find what I like most.

14. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Just throwing out some options that i had to figure out the hard way... im sure you will find a system that works well for you.