advice on jon boat trolling setup

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by wylie catter, Jan 26, 2010.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently bought a spare boat because my pontoon likes to stay at the shop. I bought a 2000 model 16' LUND. It is aluminum with a v hull front and flat in the back. It has 2 bench type seats in the middle a little bow seat and a bench seat at either side of the stern. It's pretty wide, it's about 6" wider than my tahoe when it's hooked behind it. It didn't come with a motor but I've bought a 20 hp mercury for it. It was a naked boat. So far I've put 6 rod holders down the port side and I'm going to add some more to the starboard side. But I can't make up my mind about the back. You see I guess I'm going with a transom mount trolling motor because it's a tiller steer boat. So if I'm trolling then I need to be in the back. So I'll be trolling backwards most of the time and that kinda eliminates the usefulness of a rod rack across the back. With rod holders on the sides I can down rod fish for cats and crappie or striper. But trolling on the bottom is limited.

I figured I'd throw it out there for yalls input. I'm sure somebody has the perfect rigging for a jon boat.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My last post was #666 for me so I had to do another.

3. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    youll have a heck of a time trying to steer that trolling motor from the back. it wont wanna track straight. i had one on the back of my boat at first and i couldnt count how many cuss words i said tryin to steer it. i put one on the front and it tracked 110% straighter. bow mount is more expensive but well worth it. or do like me and find an older one on craigslist to throw on there

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I hadn't thought about it not tracking good.

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i would put a bow mount but you could also put a rod rack up front and back troll with your gas motor.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I see yall are in rock hill and charlotte. I'm in clover. Out of all the people on here two people within 20 miles of me replied. That's interesting.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well, here is a reply from California....

I'd like to say that.... like the others have posted.....you can add a trolling motor anywhere you want.... make a bracket out of wood and attach to the front...

My little 12 ft vee "smoker craft" has front and back trolling motors.... even have a switch to turn em both on for extra push when needed....

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC

the Carolina folks are paying attention and yep because you asked about trolling or driftin!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  9. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i just found a mount in the new cabelas catalog that you can mount a transom mount trolling motor onto the front of the boat. its about 80 dollars but you would still come out cheaper than buying a bow mount trolling motor. just a suggestion if you wanted to go that route