Advice on hook size for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kyron4, Jun 6, 2009.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm useing 3/0 Kahles with 4"-6" bluegills and chubs. I also have 5/0 Khales; should I go with the larger 5/0 with this size bait or is the 3/0 enough ? For river fishing I usally hook throw the lips , but in slow current I'll sometimes hook through the tail. The biggest Flatty in my area will run 15-25 lbs. if that makes a difference. -Thanks

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    get king kael 8ot or ten ot get gamma octo circal 8 or 10s, your going to small i think

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i use either 8/0 gama circle or 8/0 team catfish doble action or 10/0 kahles

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like Mustad 92671,s in 7/0 thru 10/0 depending on the size of my bait.:big_smile:

5. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    get 7/0 - 10/0 kahles and yall do fine 3/0 are to small for what ur trying to do in my own oppion

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use an 8/0 gama circle... cut bait or live bait. The river i mainly fish has some pretty big flatheads in it and its just the hook i'm comfortable with!

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use hooks as small as 2/0 in octos and live hook 1/4 lb carp below the dorsal fin just deep enough to be 1/4 inch in when hooked. Problem I see alot of times is too big a hook and the hook hooks back into the bait on a hookset. I do perfer 2/0 to 9/0 hooks depending on the size of the bait and current and how agressive the fish are. One thing I have found is circles and live baits dont do well in current unless they are nose hooked. It seems if I back hook em the circle it sets back into the bait.I find a good balance of what hooks hold a bait deep enough with enough hook out,but not so wide gapped that the bait getts a hook back into it when I set the hook. Ya get the mix right and your hookup rate goes thru the roof.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i never change sze always 9 or ten , maby thats why i dont get alot of bites

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    In my opinion, the most important feature of the hook should be the gap size...it does not have to be a "wide gap" type hook but those are ideal...7/0 or 8/0 are the sizes I look for the most. 6/0 and down are too small...

10. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I agree. Big cats are not hook shy, and although a hook might look too big, chances are it isn't.

I like 10/0 gama octopus hooks - not circles - for big live bait. I've had too many circle hooks turn back into the bullhead, and I gave them up for flatheads. That's a personal choice - the most important thing is to find what works best for you. The opinions so far have given a lot of good insight, but get out there and try a few different hooks.

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    7/0-10/0 kahle hooks

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i use 7/0 khales most of time but will use 8/0 9/o when having a large bait for channels i use 5/0 6/0 khales. look at an average flats mouth its huge:roll_eyes:

13. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    +1 or a 10/0 Kahle. Hook size largely depends on bait size- I use the Octo with bream- kahles with bullhead, carp, or drum heads. I'll occasionally use a 2/0 with a small shad and once boated a 38 lb. furcatis drifting Dec.- nerve-racking and fun, but not highly recommended.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    6/0 to 10/0 kahle, circle, and J hooks Depending on whether it's live or cut bait and size of bait.

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    This is great advice! :big_smile: Thanks!

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea im a master i know everthing lol not, i can get a few big cats a year, but im fiitin on changing that this year,