Advice on hand gun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by slowboat, Mar 25, 2008.

1. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just received my permit today and am looking for advice a AMT Kurz backup 9mm 380 what do you think

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    sounds good to me id just make sure its comfortable in your hand and on your side

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i personally do not like the 9mm, but like i said that my personal choice. i do not trust any weapon without a 4 as the first number of caliber size. the 9mm does have its advantages, as you can find ammo for it everywhere. the first thing i would tell you is to make sure you are comfortable with it. also see if there is a gun shop around you that will let you test fire it before you purchase it, that way you know you are comfortable with it. make sure it fits your hard and has a good weight and is balanced. as far as gun choices go i like glock 23 and 37 models, springfield XD40 and XD45 as well as a Kimber 1911 but chambered in the .40 caliber round.

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i agree with sgt fish slayer

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hal I may be wrong, but I thought AMT went under. If ya already got it, heck use it. But if yer shopping; the parts for it may be hard to locate, or even a spare mag. In a 380 I like the PPK Walther, or the Sig P-230. But they are high dollar units. Should be able to get a Taurus 38 snub a lot cheaper even in stainless. Or don't forget the poor man's PPK, the Makarov. The ammo is available now, and it's been a military sidearm for a long time. I don't feel unarmed with a 9mm "short" or the slightly hotter russian round.

6. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I already have 2 of them that I bought a long time ago. They have hardly been used about 3 times. I was wondering about the stopping power...sb

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For those folks that doubt the power of a .380..... let's remember it's what General Patton chose to keep on him along with his Colt 1911 .45

I had a Colt Government .380 but gave it away to my dad since he liked it so much. It was a very sweet gun.

8. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    im looking for a hand gun for home protection any ideas

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A concealed weapon is a different beast than a home protection gun. Conceal carry should be comfortable to shoot and carry. The best gun to carry is one you WILL carry. Not leave in the glove box. If I had one weapon for home it would be a 12ga 870 Remington. If you're really wanting a handgun to keep in the home a large .357 revolver would be my suggestion for anyone not that familiar with handguns. Guessing that since you are asking opinions.

A great back up pocket gun is a KelTec P3AT .380 (9mm short). Very light, decent accuracy and most importantly easy to carry in a front pocket.

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    for a home protection gun i would go with one you can shoot in a low light to no light situation and still hit your target. for most people this doesnt include handguns, becuase unless you have had extensive training in the use of weapons under stressful situations, you are not going to be able to fire them accurately. for home protection, i like my XD40, but that doesnt mean i dont have a couple of 12 GA Mossbergs loaded with Express Long Range #4 shot. With a 12 gauge all you do is point and shoot. and trust mme, any bad guy that take #4 shot to the upper torso from about 12 ft away is not going to go very far.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Stopping power is something for the gun magazines and barber shops. If you can hit a dessert plate at 15ft consistantly, or point shoot a torso, and if the lil guns function flawlessly, I'd say yer in business. If the gun hiccups or fails any, or you can make it do so, by say "limp wristing" as is common for small autos, then I'd trade them in or swap for the 38 special snub guns. There's not that much advantage really in ballistics, but in reliability, and also the selection of ammo you can stuff em with. Guess you can tell I'm a big fan of the 5 shot wheel gun. You also don't have to worry about magazine fatigue, another hot topic that never goes away, LOL. Also another thing we forget sometimes is a good quality holster. Some guns are hard to "fit".

12. rockyr

rockyr New Member

State:
    *Required*
    You might want to check out the new Taurus handgun called the "Judge". Holds five rounds of 410 shotgun shells or 45 calber Colt ammo. You can go on their website and view a video about the gun. I saw a demo of this gun and planning on purchasing one myself.
    Good luck.

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    for home defense i'd go with a good pump shotgun . i have a remington winmaster 20 gauge 3inch with an old plain barrel sawed off at 20 inches with #4 buck shot. what i have in my pocket is a kel tec p3at 380 in a desantos pocket carry holster. when i first got my permit i thought it would be cool to carry a big gun . i tried several glocks. the 36 and the 23 were managable but heavy. i tried a colt . i tried a ruger sp101. i tried IWB and OWB leather. i tried smart carry . finally i caught myself leaveing my carry rig at home for various reasons. the 380 was probably the last gun in the world i thought i would carry but it's comfortable,easy to conceal and i am Always protected . concealment is easy in every thing from church clothes to overalls. just my .02 cents. my advice find something comfortable and concealable.

14. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rex, that was some good info! A gun a person will carry is FAR better than the gun in the glovebox! I have been guilty of the BIG gun complex! You wait months for your permit, then you get it and tote your BIG gun a while, untill the "new" wears off! The Kel-tecs are EXCELLENT pistols! That have proven themselves to be accurate enough for personal protection and reliable! I have a p-11 (11 shot 9mm, that fits in your hand) I carry it almost always before my 40's and 45's!:big_smile:

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I love the story I read of the 4 gun writers going for a meeting with their editor, in an elevator, all discussing the perfect carry gun topic. One shut em all up; as it turned out he was the only one "packing". Lil pocket gun.
    :smile2:
    Goes back to what they taught you in the service. A pistol is what you use to get to your rifle, LOL.

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I used to deliver pizza's on the west side of our town.Not a friendly place.

I chose to carry against my companies policy (executives rarely g to the hood at 11 pm)

My carry weapon of choice was a KelTech p11 9mm small and I could carry concealed or in the open the latter being my choice for obvious reasons.An ounce of prevention being worth more than a pound of cure.

Also in regards to Fishslayers statement about having a 4 in the caliber size. I beleive a 40 caliber handgun to be ideal in a small concealable weapon.

KelTech makes a 40 cal that fits in the palm of your hand is realy comfortable to shoot even for those of us with big hands.Just watch that thumb :wink:

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wanted something small, not too heavy but still have plenty punch. That's the reason I picked my Baby Glock 26 9 MM.

18. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I Got an old SW 38 special. bought it Years ago at a pawn shop. I don't carry it very often but it's around here somewhere in the camper or boat. 3 buckshot loads-1 hollow point. settin on an empty. The reason I got a revolver is, I got a very short trigger finger and a slide hurts like hell when it hits the end of it.

19. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    guys Im really looking for a good handgun, I want it to have smooth action and a lot of power need advice.

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    go with a .44 magnum lol. bigger the better right?