Advice on Common Carp Fishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by festus, Aug 27, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I'm going carping maybe tomorrow, but for sure Monday and Tuesday next week. Gonna be using breadballs, nightcrawlers, homemade doughball w/strawberry Jell-O, and maybe Green Giant corn.

This is going to be below Ft. Loudoun Dam on the lock side. I'm pretty sure it's rocky with rip rap, but the water should be fairly calm. Right now I'm getting ready to rig my rods, what type of set up do I need? I'm thinking size #6 treble hooks for the doughballs and bread, but maybe they will hang up in the rocks. I will make sure to get the hooks covered well.

Any suggestions on rigs? Three way swivel rig? Carp are more likely to pick it up and drop it when they feel the weight. Carolina rig? More to my liking. Is a circle hook best if I'm not using trebles? If the water is calm, I may not even use a sinker. I'm getting ready to research these hair rigs everyone's talking about. There's a ton of carp fishing sites out there.

The grass carp in the photo below was caught by one of my friends at my girlfriend's workplace. It weighed 20 lb, 8 oz. was 34" long. Matthew, don't know if you see this, but I know you won't mind me putting it on here. He was targeting carp that day, I was fishing for bluegill and bass. There's some channel cats in there too, but they hit better at night.

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Festis, i use wheaties, just take a handfull, put your hand in thewater and mash up into dough balls, i've caught a ton of carp thatway. a carolina rig and a slip sinker, but careful carp will take it all and run. lost a nice rod out of the boat oneday to a big old carp goodluck

3. festus

festus New Member

Right Roger, I've heard of using Wheaties before. There will probably be 3 of us using an assortment of baits. I know for sure the strawberry doughballs will work, at least they did when I was a teenager growing up in the late 1960's.....I know one thing, I learned something a long time ago, if i turn my back while carp fishing, I flip my bail open on a spinning outfit or make sure baitrunner's on on a casting outfit, a big carp pulled one of my late father's spinning outfits in on Melton Hill Lake. About a month later I accidently snagged the rod and reel and brought it in. The top section of the rod was gone, and the reel was ruined. It was a nice South Bend outfit.:sad2:

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Keep it simple. A lot of carp fisherman come up with the most elaborate and expensive rigs. Use a Carolina rig, with just enough weight to keep the bait in one spot.

Corn works very well, in either a hair rig (giant pain in the arse) or attached right to the hook. I use a #6 or #4 hook.

Pre-chumming will bring them in. If feeding water fowl is legal where you fish, bring a giant bag of popcorn and feed away!

5. festus

festus New Member

That's exactly what I was thinking, Steve, carp fishing shouldn't be complicated. I haven't targeted carp since I was a teenager, but have caught many through the years fishing for other species, even on artificials. I remember many times I wouldn't even use a sinker, and I plan on doing that this trip, if possible. Yeah, we used to chum for them at this park in Oak Ridge. There were a lot of domesticated ducks in there and whenever someone came by to feed the ducks, it set the carp on a feeding frenzy. I know 3 or 4 good spots we're gonna try.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    wheaties , bananas , banana extract .

mix all together , works great:wink:

7. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Floyd, I'll probably eventually try all these recipes because the lake where my girlfriend works has all types and sizes of carp.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You don't need much weight. Just enough to lob your bait into their swim. Sometimes just a single #1 shot 12" up from the hook works. The less resistance the fish feels the better.

DO be careful though. I watched a lady bank fishing next to me years ago. I looked over and noticed her rod tip twitch.

Just as I said, "I think you got a....", the rod and reel became an artificial reef! LOL. We drug the area for an hour and never did get her rod back.

9. bluecatfish

bluecatfish New Member

State:
    SoCal

WHOA GOOD JOB GO KEEP CARP HAVE FUN!!!!!!:wink::wink:

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

Steve, let's not forget bread. Bread has that majic ability to slowly sink through the water column when it is wet. Sometimes the carp are not surface feeding and the wet bread does the trick. Besides the domesticated waterfowl don't seem to mind the bread either. :wink:
    The carp in my avatar was caught on a 3 wt. fly rod with a "bread fly" after chumming with real bread. Hope this helps.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Just good ole plain wheaties or corn works great here.