Advice on catchin big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gamaCatsu, Jul 23, 2009.

1. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    im new to the forum. this is my first post id like to say hello to everybody and im in need to some advice.

ok... im about to give up when it comes to these fish... i can catch 5-10lb flat heads all day on small goldfish no prob.

heres the issue... im using whole bream about the size of my hand. and 6/0 hooks. usually the flatheads take them head first and run... i assume? .. im hooking them in the upper part of their back, i have my bait clicker on and line in the water, they strike and i let them run with it for a bit... but i swear everytime i go to set the hook and im almost 100% sure fish on. They just spit it back out? am i doing sumthing wrong by setting the hook to early or late?? as i said i believe im using the rite gear 6/o hook, 40lb test with a 60lb leader,3oz-5oz weights. this has happend to me a total of 4 times today on fish that i know are well over 20lbs. i really would like advice from you guys that have been catching these monsters. this is driving my crazy!! i feel like a JACKA$$ ive been fishing for awhile but never really started going after big catfish until recently.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Shane...I really can't stay and chat cause I'm headed off to work but keep browsing the site for answers and I'm sure someone will come along and give you some advice..Just wanted to say welcome..

3. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just resently started useing a trailer hook. more tackel too lose but have been stickin more fish. hope that helps.

4. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
  5. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

isnt that like a stinger hook???

6. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    it a another hook tied too your first hook

7. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    yea samething i believe just a diff name

8. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i make my own, but think u can buy them ready to go too. i like them , i can use bigger baits, and if one don,t get him maybe the second one will.:big_smile:

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

cool i may try that man thanks for the advice

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Shane!!! Two things that have helped me with this problem. Hooks, I changed to eagle claw king kahle 8/0 thru 10/0 and I have not missed a fish "yet". A 10/0 hook is not to big for a flathead. Another thing is I do not set the hook with all my strength. I wait till the fish pulls down hard, don't jerk, just pull back realy hard.
    The hook needs to be able to pull away from the bait, hooking the bait to deep makes it harder for the hook to come out.
    Most importantly,,, do not give up!!! You will stick a good one, and when you do you will be glad you didn't give up.:wink:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Shane. Try a bigger hook in at least an 8/0. Make sure there is plenty of open hook for a better hook up

12. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

wow...your using 10/0 ...i used 6 and 7's my hooks may be too small?? im not hooking the bait to deep, its acutally a shallow hook rite below the top of the back, maybe half of a inch below the top of the back. weather has cleared up today so i will be down at the river tonight for sure tryin once again. but im deff going to get bigger hooks before tonight.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Beat me to it Josh!!:wink:

14. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Flatheads are not hook shy. Only thing you need to watch with a big hook is that it is not so big that it keeps the bait from wearing out and not being able to swim around. 8/0 works realy well for me with a hand sized gill. 10/0 is for a large sucker. I even use 11/0. You can hook a flathead with a 6/0 hook, people use that size alot you just need to match your bait/hook sizes.

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

yea like i said ive used 6/0 on gold fish and caught flatheads but they were all in the 5-10lb range im just having a hrd time when i use bigger bait such as 5-6 inch blue gill. bigger the bait bigger the fish?? well big bait will not do me any good if i cant keep the fish on lol

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had a flat under 1lb try to swallow a 10/0 king kahle. The hook went in him so far it came back out just above the belly. :confused2:

17. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

that must have been a hungry fish lol

18. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    another thing try some 7/0 or 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks you dont have to set the hook at all just let the line get tight and pull back and its fish on but to me it sounds like your hooks might not be big enough. i just went and got me some bigger ones was having the same problem the other day at the lake. and i'm gonna try that stinger hook too.

19. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have not had a flathead come off yet, nor can I say I've missed one either so I don't know how much help I can be. That said, do you ever hear splashing right after setting the hook? The fish you are missing might be gar, in whch case, you'll hardly ever keep one on. If they're swimming near the surface when you set the hook, they probably are. I would think that just by sheer odds you would catch a big flat once in a while on the goldfish, which makes me think the ones you're not keeping on are gar. You can try a bigger hook, like an 8/0 and hook them underneath, just above the anal fin. The fish I catch in Michigan bite and eat it, they don't let go and they don't drop it, but every river is different too. I think the ones you're missing are gar and the only thing you can do about them is move...

20. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

hmm.... where i fish at is Rocky river runs threw the middle of Northcarolina, into charlotte,cabarrus county, ive never seen or heard of anybody catchin gar in this river. but i also said that about carp and lastweek i caught 3.. so i guess thats a possibility, but when i look at the fish it doesnt seem to have teeth marks, more like missing some scales, if gar had went after it wouldnt it have holes in it from there teeth??