advice on a new old motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 15, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    bobpaul. just had my buddie come down tonight with an old 5.5 evenrude fisherman. his uncle got it for $5 at a garage sale. he said he had no idea if and what was wring with it.

its a tiller and a short shaft. we were gonna fool with it for my 10' jon. we noticed that the head bolst were loose. we went ahead and removed the head. the pistons looked fine. the cilinders were smooth and had no scores or marks. we rvted the head after cleaning it and put it back on. we tested the plugs that didn't look to bad. had great spark. we dropped a few drops of gas into the cilinders and with 1 pul it fired..

we got some 2 stroke gas and with a make shift gas pump filled the carg bowl with gas. the thing started up and ran 3-4 min just on this gas with no fuel line attached. the outlet was spitting a good stream of water and it idled fine. the only thing was it was missing 2 head bolts. it was leaking a small amount of water at one of the missing holes. gut ran great.

we plan on getting a whole new set of bolts tomorrow for the head and taking off the carb and cleaning and new gear lube and a complete de greasing and lube job on the zerks. any other suggestions for this project. we couldn't believe it ran so easily. its goaat be a good motor. tested forward and reverse. both worked fine. was shooting water from the barrel.

with a bit of choke we got it to start every time with 2-3 pulls. should be a great motor with some work.

thought there might be some things you might suggest checking too. this is to cool. we were gonna use a 36# minn kota. now have a gas motor.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Post the model number of that 5.5 and I'll see what specifics I can come up with

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cool. ill have to check today in the light. all i see on the mount is a plate with serial #. no model. not even sure of the year yet. its a 5.5 evenrude fishermen. it looks like 70's ide say. ill do some more checking for #er's in the light. i seen some on what looked like a freeze plug on moter too. nothing saying model though. my force on my big boat has serial and model on the same plate. this just has serial. ill check in today. were gonna get some de greaser and clean it up. ill post a pic too.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The head bolts on that things *should* be just common-threaded bolts that you can get at your local hardware store - no need to spend $3 each at the Evinrude dealer. I learned that one the hard way...

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The older motors only had serial numbers. Post that number.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the head bolts are a common looking bolt for sure. was planning on getting all new ones at farm and fleet.

the # is 540213-305974

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The 5402 part of the number comes up as a 64' model.

Points and coils under the flywheel?

Post a few pics in different positions with the hood on and off.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok will do bp. man we cant believe it. we got a fuel tank (plastic) and rinsed it out with gas added fresh 2 stoke to it, got a new fuel line. we just sat and watched this thing idle and run for 30 min without the slightest cough or miss. it idled better than my 89 force motor and i thought it ran good. its amazing. were planning on adding carb cleaner to gas. i don't want to remove it since its running so good. we moved the tiller knob toward kill and it was ideling so slow it was barly running and still wouldn't die. ive never seen one so old that needed no work to run. and run so good. ill get some pic's up tomorrow. were changing the gear lube now.

64 hugh. wow!

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Go a little heavy on the oil mix and I wouldn't use carb cleaner not recommended for a 2 stroke water cooled engine.

10. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    ok. got some close us on the engine. im on a friends pc but its me. will post tomorrow.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i got some pics ill post. pressure washed the thing today and removed all the grease. ok no carb cleaner. don't reall need it the way it sounds. ran a bit of stabilizer in the gas. started painting the housing and worked the prop over on the grinder and putting a finish on it too. the fuel lines after using a degreaser went bad. they were old and the combonation adding the degreaser made them crack apart and get brittle. getting all new tomorrow.
    the gas bowl is real glass and is located off to the side of the motor frame away from the carb.

hope ya can help me with another Q after i get the pics up. i tried to drop the lower unit tonight. the impeller is working cause it spits out a good flow of water but want to check it. the shift rod appeared to have no disconnect between the shaft and the gear housing. :confused:

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats pretty neat that you found a motor that works that good for only $5, now maybe after a few bolts and some fuel line a cleaner, you might have $50 in it, wow what a deal. :)

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    actually it was free. a buddies uncle got it for $5. he gave it to him and said he had it for 2 years and it was collecting dust. he could have it and work on it. he thought it was junk.

he has kind of donated it to me and were splitting the cost of the parts 1/2 way. hes bought paint and the primer bulb and fule fittings and i got the gas the hose and head bolts. it a joint venture.

the pisc im posting are all running. ideling and in gear. it runs great.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here are more while in gear running. with the motor cover on we went to the front of my house and barley herd it running. :)

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    bob? any where i can get schem's on old motors. does even rude have em on site. the impeller is working but i would love to check and or replace. i may have to remove bottom gear housing??

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Are you anywhere near Harrisburg? There's an Evinrude Mechanic near there that stocks old parts and has a good size bone yard of old motors.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the name doesn'r ring a bell but ide have to check a map. if i haven't been there i don't know for sure.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    weve got this thing looking new. with some work well have it done this weekend.

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Harrisburg is at the southern most part of your state, off I-24, not far from Paducah KY.

I'll get the guys number and send it to you. I'm sure he'll get you all the info on your engine and parts.

Great deer huntng down there too.

Engine's looking nice.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    bob, i know little on 2 stroke engines. both my force 50 and thei 5.5 have a what i thought was a fliter ,lol on the side. where the gas lines run into and out back to carb. there is reed valves in this. what is this called and whats it pourpose if ya don't mind? :confused: