Advice on a Boat

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Titghtline, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Titghtline

Titghtline New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and staying warm. Gentleman, I have finally convinced the wife we need a boat. Or at least that I need a boat. My budget is around 4500. I fish the Wabash, White, and Will try the Ohio some. My question to you is what would be your minimum size boat and motor. I would love a 1860 but with my budget I doubt it will be possible. Maybe a 1654 would fit the bill with a 40 horse engine.

2. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have never owned a boat other than a 10' jonboat so I can't help you out, but will enjoy hearing everyone's opinions in case I ever do.
    Where I fish the wabash you about have to carry your boat to the next big puddle.:angry:

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    With a $4500 dollar budget go used an avoid the sticker shock. Going used will also allow you to get the size you want. I don't know anyone that likes to fish in a small boat with no space no matter how nice it looks. I wish I would have went bigger when I bought my last one.

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Buy the biggest boat you can afford for the size of water you will fish most often. A big boat is nice for the ohio river and big lakes but would be overkill for a small sized river. I have a 16 footer and is perfect for the places I usually fish. It will work on the ohio but a bigger boat like a 20 footer would have been more comfortable and more storage. You cant have enough storage on a boat. I would stay away from a fiberglass boat if you will be fishing a lot in the rivers. Most importanlty, shop around for a good price.

5. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I'd round up another 500 and take a look at the one river king has for sale on here. I don't know him but the boat is already set up and would save you the extra money of buying extras. Plus if it did'nt work out you could resell it easy enough.

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you are primarily fishing the white and the Wabash a flatbottom would likely serve you best with a jet motor. Won't be nearly as good for the Ohio in rough water, but if its a bigger flat bottom then you could take it out in good conditions. Its hard to trade off bigger rivers and smaller shallow rivers on a boat.....I have a deep V that I would likely take into shallower waters if i had a jet motor, i have had the boat in 2.0-3.5 ft of water before just fine with a trolling motor, just won't do that with my prop. I know those rivers can get extremely shallow in some spots at certain times of the year. So, it will be a tough decision and you will have to decide based on what you want, and where you will be fishing the most. Good luck with the purchase and the modding. I second the opinion to buy used if on a limited budget, you can get a bigger boat and more of what you want. :big_smile:

7. wabashriverrat

wabashriverrat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think if u r fishing the wabash and white and maybe the ohio 2-3 times a year i'd go with the biggest flat bottom u can buy on your budget . if u fish the wabash say up stream from say clinton i would look at a tunnle jet . i think a lot of white around indy is the same way.just remember jets eat fuel so if the boat has a built in tank make sure it's large enough. I have a 90/65 hp yamy jet with a built in 12 gal tank i'm limited on how far i can run with out taking extra fuel . i can put in at clinton an go up to cauyuga and back on 12 gal. and that's it i'm on fumes so just ask ? before u buy.

8. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think you are on the right track with your wish list. Like others have said get the biggest you can afford for you water. Another thing to consider is age of the motor. I would gladly give up some size for a good reliable motor.

1654-1756 are fine boats for nearly all types of water. barring heavy waves they will handle everything you can throw at them. I think finding a nice 16' with a 40 or 50 horse is very doable on that budget.

Good Luck

9. Titghtline

Titghtline New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yesterday I came across a Lowe 1654 with a Mercury Thunderbolt 40 horse. The price is definitely in my range. It is a flat bottom. Two questions. What are your takes on this engine. Not sure about the year. Other question is this. The motor does not have power tilt. I doubt this is a problem since I could manually do it. One more and I apologize. How much to overhaul an engine and have it gone through and maintenanced. Under 300 Maybe

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would definately look at RiverKings (Matts) boat. It's a super nice rig and would fish beautifully. I know it has had many big fish pulled over it's gunwhale and it fishes the Ohio superbly.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Also, look for a WIDE boat. I like a minimum of 60 inches wide. A 1660 makes a fine river boat.

Bill in SC

12. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Bill makes a great point....width in a boat is probably more important than length....particularly if you have a console.....its not fun to be elbow to elbow with your buddy or trying to fit between the seats. I wish my boat had a wider beam.....the extra length is good, but the width is the prime real estate in my opinion.

13. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    there are plenty of free ad sites in indiana with boats in them my buddy just bought an 18ft bass tracker aluminum flat bottom with 40 hp merc and got it for 2500 . it works great on the bash and white and on the ohio is ok he built a jack plate for the motor for when the rivers are down that helps a ton!!!!! try your local boat dealers now they arent sellin much due to weather and stick to your guns on price make them come down to you hope this helps god bless:big_smile:

14. Titghtline

Titghtline New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the input. Going to look at the 1654 this weekend. If everything checks out I will be taking it home. Cant wait til Saturday