Advice needed

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Mikeinchandler, May 27, 2009.

1. Mikeinchandler

Mikeinchandler New Member

State:
    Az
    Hi to the group. I am new to the flatheading thing, and tomorrow night I'm heading to the upper salt river here in Az, and will try to catch my 1st flathead. I plan on using blue gill and waterdogs. However, what I need is advice on EXACTLY how to rig my gear. I have 2 deep sea fishing rods, and will have 30# mono on both of them. Please help....

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Texas. I would try a Carolina rig set up with a small slip cork on your leader. Use an egg sinker, or whatever you may have, put on a bead or something to protect the knot, then tie on a swivel. I would then use a 12 to 18 inch leader with a slip cork about 6 inches from the hook.

Some people like to put the cork in the middle. The purpose of the cork is to suspend the bait just off the bottom. If you put it in the middle of your leader, the cork is going to rise and if you have the same amount of line on both sides of it, it is going to rest on the bottom. If you move it closer to the hook, the bait will rise that much. I my opinion this works for me.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Just start with the easiest, a carolina rig. Put a sinker on your main line, then a bead, tie on a swivel, then tie on your leader to the other end of the swivel. 10 to 15 inches is normal. then tie on your hook.

If you fish real rocky areas you might have to go to 3 way or modified-slip rigs. Which you can find with a general search. Good luck.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey mike, there is a devildog down in yuma who fishes for flatheads alot, I'll send him a PM and hook him up with u he'll square u away on your flathead questions, he may even be able to put u on some fish.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the club brother, forgot to mention that last.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Mike.I,d go with a sliding rig too.I,m sure the guys in your states local talk section will hook you up with some ideas on places to fish.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What's up Mike? Welcome to the BOC bro! It sounds like you have the gear already for a good fish. Those rods will work just fine. One of my rods is a tuna stick and it takes a good thrashing (when things are good:wink:). Just like everyone else here, I would say for you to go with a typical sliding rig. Depending on the current that you fish in, I would use a 2 to 3 ounce egg sinker (i have been using 3 oz). Also, depending on how many rods you are using, I bait some with cut up gills and some with live gills in the 3-5 inch range. We dont have water dogs here in Yuma...Hook size is up to you I use anywhere from 6/0 to 8/0....just make sure that you have a wide enough gap, other wise you'll miss a few fish. I hope this help ya out bro. good luck and let us know how you do.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    sounds like you have the right tackle,, and, a good destination,,
    In current, I like to have my bait suspended off the bottom a bit..
    I tie my hook onto the mainline,, 7/0-10/0 King Kahles..onto 30-50# mono
    then about 12-18" from the hook, I use 2 pea sized pinch weights,, just snug them on,, then,, I use about a 5 oz sinker tied onto 10-15# line to a snap swivel,about 18-24",,, snap it on the line above the little weights, towards the rod, and have at it,, that will keep you bait off the bottom in a swimming position,, keep the bail open, turn on the clicker and,,, ,,,they will try and steal your bait..!!!!
    Look up Paternoster rig in the library,, the rig I use is a modification of it..

and,, Welcome to the BOC:smile2: