Advice needed for 13 year old Pug

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Mac-b, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey Doc., got a little problem. Maggie, the Chinese Pug has a blood sugar level of 460 according to the female vet. Insulin has been prescribed. Where is the best place to stick Maggie to get a small amount of blood for the test strips. Also, any other advice you might have on the subject would be appreciated. Stay warm, OK

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac, just opened your message and I am srry I am late in getting back you. I was making banana pudding and the stuff flopped on me. Man I can't figure out how I screwed up banana pudding.

But enough of my problems. Let's visit a little about your pooch. This ain't Jackie is it, the one you take on the boat and use to bite your clients legs who don't pay ya?

Mac., if you a praying man, a tolerant man, a patient man and a rich man you going to need all this to care for this dog.

Geriatric diabetes can be caused from several things. Most usually being fat and over fed. After that everything that can cause it is serious (like "dead" serious). That high a sugar can be caused by just going to the Vet, at least some of it. That dog should have been kept a week or 10 days and regulated before you got it back home. You should have been sent home with all kinds of ways to monitor your dog and specific methods for testing blood sugar and urine sugar and a very specific diet. Most folks use a human meter to monitor blod sugar levels. Blood is most easily obtained using a lancet around a non-haired area like the nose and ears. Clipping a toenail short.

Now Mac., you ain't no slouch when it comes to being smart. You can imagine how an animal might not take too well to shoving lancets in its ear or nose or clipping a toenail too short. Drawing blood from the cephalic vein is the best and can be taught to you.

Now here is the rub, and I don't mean a beef roast rub. This is a time consuming, and meticulous process to maintain and monitor. Kkeep that vets emergency number handy for insulin shock at 2 AM and hope he/she answers the phone.

You (your dog) got a problem here Mac. Wish I were closer to help ya out.

Keep me informed, John. Look this up Mac...............................

http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetes2.htm

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Postbettle was right about us facing a lot of problems with our Chinese Pug. Last month we had to have her left eye removed and now she is having a problems controlling her rear legs and bowel movements. She is sleeping more than normal, but her blood sugar reading are within limits.