Advice need to handle Ferocious Current of the Missouri and Confluence!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 14, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok, Ventured AGAIN to the confluence (from Mel Price) to have a look around so I could convince myself it isn't so bad.

Holy Smokes! That current is RIPPING! Went up the Missouri just a small bit, saw some dikes that are not on the Nav Maps. Tried to figure out how to fish them or even approach them safely, being partially submerged.:surrender:

The channel buoys are even dancing around like dime-store bobbers. There are eddies and swirling all over the place, even in the channel, so how do you read it????

Who is gonna step-up and show me the ropes?

Help!

2. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    3dukmn and I did the same thing this morning....at the same place...scary river...:crazy:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Is the current on the MO down there that much worse than it is over here by KC? Sounds like it from your post, but I'm just curious.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I was wondering the same thing. It is pretty tame around KC

5. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    my advice is to stay off for awhile atleast until the get the lake of the ozarks back to a decent pool level. KC may be quiet but the osage is not.

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Cuz and myself have been there all afternoon. We were anchored in the middle of the confluence for awhile, I didn't think the current was that bad.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If you say so Gary. Maybe I'm over reacting but that sucker looks to me like its roaring.:crazy:

Someone needs to let me tag along for a quick lesson then.:eek:oooh:

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Gary goes out on the Mississippi several times a week and has for a long time. I'd trust whatever he says about river conditions.

Just a couple more weeks of this overtime and I got a vacation due. It all should be ready by the end of the month. I'm hoping my boat will be worn out by the time my vacation is over. LOL You are more than welcome to come along, as well as a few others here I have promised.

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well thats fine to trust Gary Kutter but I was personally there and I don't see how you could state that the river isn't too bad there.

It's all a matter of perception and comfort/experience level I suppose. I don't have a clue how to approach fishing it because it just seems like a bad MOFO to me.

If someone can help out to get me over the heebie-jeebies I would be eternally grateful and will dedicate my next hawg Catfish in their honor. :smile2:

Someone go 100 yards up the Missouri to the dancing channel buoys and give me another opinion. I want to believe I really do but I have got myself spooked.:crazy:

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Not a problem Darryl. I am an expert at such things. One trip out with me in my boat and I promise, the next time you go out on your own, you will feel sooooo much safer.

I'm thinkin about gettin a preachin license. Couldn't name you the times folks get religion around me when I take them fishin. I've actually had folks climb out of my boat and get down on their knees thanking the good Lord (for the good time they just had, I assume).

You ever see them fool jet ski'ers jump them barge wakes? I'm here to tell ya, A river Jon can clear just as much air.

I saw your post about using lights at night. Man, you sure came up with a good idea. I'd personally never have thought of using them myself. Sounds like a great idea and I think I'm gonna try it one of these times.

I also saw your post on you tearing up your prop. Don't let it bother ya. It happens all the time. I carry a half dozen extras just to get through a nights fishing. It's my own fault, I know. I'm basically lazy and it wastes so much time going aaaalllll the way out past the end of the wing dike. So much easier to "skip" over it. If ya hit it just right, it will make the Dukes proud. YEEEEEHAAAA! You should see the looks on them bighead carps faces when you pass them by 6 ft out of the water. Other folks fishing them dikes are quite impressed also. They get to hollorin and jumping up and down. Almost like they aint never seen someone do that before. Yep, they are very impressed. Some even offer to donate a few 8 oz sinkers as a way to show their admiration.

Sooo, you think the Mighty Mo has a lot of dangerous current, huh? Ok. Lets see how bad you think it is after your trip with me, on a scale of fright factor.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Kutter,

Just when I was starting to think that all those things they say about you can't possibly be true!:waaaht:

It is entirely possible that the Mighty MO, relatively speaking, is much safer than a ride in Kutter's boat.

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A ride in Kutter's boat is an experience you will never forget! Just take your own light and life jacket no matter what he says and beware of those fog devils he is able to see. That is just from being on the Merimac once with him. The Missouri?? Enter at your own risk and have your life insurance paid up. The Mississippi?? God help us all!

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    yea they have been running 50000 to 55000cfs out of truman for a couple of weeks and should be running the same out of bagnell it all goes to the missouri

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Darryl, unless it picks up a lot over east, the current here usually runs about 3.5 MPH and when it's up over the dykes but still fishable it was running about 4.5 MPH. The bouys are always dancing around like that over here. If the current on the Miss is running slower, the MO will probably be a little harder to get used to, but if you stick to the nav channel and watch your bank markers, it's a piece of cake. Sounds like Kutter has it figured out, once you get done with his lesson and get your hair dyed to cover the white hairs it sounds like you'll get riding with him you'll be a pro...:big_smile:

15. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    now thats funny ,dye your hair lol!!!!!!!!!!

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Robert for the report.. we could really start to use the water over here.

17. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm glad Kutter trusts me..Lol:big_smile: I'm just used to fishing alot of current that's all. Down here the river gets pretty narrow and swift. It didn't seem no different to me than anywhere else I fish down here that's all. It know it is a pain though, to deal with anchoring and launching by yourself in swift current. I have that problem alot though, seems like nobody I know ever wants to go catfishin with me because theyre all scared of the river..all they want to do is bass fish!:angry: Therefore I go out by myself alot.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Anytime!!:cool2:

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok then. Gary..... Kutter......whoever.

I have tons of vacation and can take off pretty much anytime. Name the time and we'll take my boat or yours. I am ready to be taught a lesson.:roll_eyes:

20. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Okay guys I was out in Darryls boat and this area of the river is flat out smokin'. I've been on the mississippi a time or two in my life and never seen this. I agree out in the middle of the mississippi at the confluence things calmed down a little. But go up the missouri just a ways and the buoys hardly stayed above water the current was ripping so bad. Anyone that would drop anchor there is either a fool or just plain dumb. Imagine you get all set up, six poles in the water, rock dykes all around and your anchor breaks free or a submerged log rips into your anchor line, in a matter of seconds your in a world of trouble. Respect the river or you gamble with your life. Macho talk is cheap, I will not put myself in that situation period.