Advice in a New Fishing Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by martinman, Jan 5, 2007.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Attention Catters,

I am asking your advice on a fishing rod that I have been looking into for some time. It seems to meet the requirements that I am looking for, but I would like to get your advice on it.

I really like one piece graphite rods...you feel everything with them. They are also fun when catching larger fish because you can really get an idea of what you have caught. I currently use MH/Heavy action 7' rods.

I also want a rod that can hold up to catching large flatheads, as that is what I really target. Typically this requires using live bait and using decent lead weights to secure bait in the current.

Below is a link to the rod in question. It is a little pricey. I am wondering if I should give it a try or shoot for purchasing an Ugly Stick -Tiger rod (as I have not ever used one of these either). Thanks in advance for your responses.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...earch&cmCat=WISHLIST&hvarAID=wishlist#reviews

Ryan

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Give it a try Ryan. Musky rods are plenty tough. Who knows you might just want to use a big musky for Flathead bait some day and you would be set! lol:eek:oooh::lol:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I guess I'll be the first to say save some coin and buy the mh tiger but I would make sure you buy the ao tiger rod if you prefer the guids with inserts.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Recommend The Medium Action Ugly Tiger Rod, It Has Alot Of Backbone And A Very Flexible Tip.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would DITTO this post. The Ugly Stick Tiger Rod is a good investiment and will stand the test of time.:0a26:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ryan,
    For sure the musky rod is a good tool and will do the job. There are certainly other rods that will do the job for less money and the tiger is one of them. If you buy the musky rod and like it you will have to be prepared to spend some extra $$$ on a couple more. If you can afford it have what you want...W

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That musky rod lokks pretty nice. As for the Ugly Stick Tiger I want to see a medium rod. I have a couple of the MH and for me they are a "broomstick". While the tip is sensitive and the backbone plenty strong, it is a little heavy for what I am catching. I may even look into the Ugly Stick Tiger Lite in a MH.