Advice for the beginner - best model metal detector?

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Mark J, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Those of you that have metal detectors, lets hear from you.
    Using your experience throw out some detectors you like or recomend in the low end, mid range, and high end units and what the differences are besides price.

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My son and myself are looking maybe to buy one for Christmas, Paul advised me to look at the Garrett ACE 250 Model - 1139070 MSRP - $249.95 It seems to have alot of information about it on there site.

I am just new into this and we got a long way to go. My only problem with it was I didn't want to spend all day on pop tabs (lol) Other then that I would be fine.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If there's a metal detecting store anywhere near you, it would be worth the ride to go and test drive a few models.

I met a fella that highly recommends the White MXT model for an all around detector. I saw first hand the operation and comparison to mine. The cost is in the 700.00 range, which is more than twice what mine was, but you get what you pay for, and you buy what you can afford.

Most will descriminate to eliminate the pulltabs.

4. Carolina Reb

Carolina Reb New Member

State:
    Willow Springs
    Mark, Nautilus Metal Detectors in Coats, NC has in my opinion the best detector made. I relic hunt with a DMC-2B and it gets deeper than anything I've ever used.Don't let all the controls scare ya, it's really easy to use and you can buy it there in Coats for about 550 or 600$ I live in your area and would be more than glad to show you how it works before you buy one. I have 3 more you can try out also and then see what ya think...Let me know...Carolina Reb

5. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    hmm never done any metal detecting. Is it much fun?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Willy, it's an enjoyable hobby. Like fishing, sometimes you land a trophy.

Reb, if at all possible, I'd sure like to swing a coil with you and Mark.

Is this the start of an MD get together within the BOC?

7. Carolina Reb

Carolina Reb New Member

State:
    Willow Springs
    Sounds good Bob....Carolina Reb

8. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive thought about trying this as I live at the beach. There has got to be a good bit of jewelry and other interesting stuff lost every day with all the visitors we have.

Ill keep my eye on ebay and our local pawn shops after christmas and see if I can swing one. Would give me something to do while walking my dogs on the beach.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    you fellas keep carrying on like this and you're gonna pass your itch on to me!!!!

I just got a gift cert from work at the local Gander mountain and it may end up going to ward one of these if you guys keep on it like this. Please do me a favor and get less interesting quickly.

lol

sal

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Mark, I thinking about getting me one, I sure am glad you created this thread. I hope to learn with you! :D

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Top , I think a few of these guys can help us or maybe hurt us. Depends on what way you look at your wallet.
    I've had the White's MXT recomended to me, I've read alot of good things about it and I think it will do what I want it to and more.
    Now, I got to get the wallet pried open.
    One of my main have to haves is the ability to switch the coils.

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, why do you need to switch coils? I bought a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II last week, and the manual mentioned using a 4" coil in some cases, I think to narrow down a find amongst trash, vs the 8" that came with it.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tommy, I'm interested in the bigger coils that shoot deeper.
    They lose some of their ability the way I understand it to pick up or discriminate on smaller objects, but for one area we have in particular I'd like to be able to shoot 2 feet down. They are good for larger objects like cannonballs.
    I'm thinking if you pair two detectors together in the same area with both detectors running two different coils, you wont miss much between the two.
    I might be wrong but from what I've been reading it seems like a plan.

I was overwhelmed with information overload at first but I'm slowly starting to understand how these things work and some of the features I want.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Mark. I've never done any detecting before, but have always had an interest in it. I haven't had time to do any since I bought mine, but hopefully after these holidays are done.

15. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I just bumped into this thread and thought I'd put in my two cents worth. I have been into metal detecting for a while and my opinion is that there are many very good detectors out there now-a-days. It comes down to what you are most comfortable with and how much you have/want to spend. There is no ONE-BEST metal detector out there in spite of what some would claim. Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Mine Labs, Garrett, ALL make some very nice machines. My weapon of choice is a Whites MXT, which is not inexpensive but certainly not the most expensive. It does coins, relics, and gold very, very well, but is not THE BEST in any one area. In my opinion it is probably the best all-arounder and the quickest/easiest to use machine there is. (Please don't throw rocks at me, it is ,of course, just an opinion). I notice from the original thread that you are in N.C. , a very nice place for metal detecting. You have the coastline as well as the the history to provide lots of places to go huntin'. ps. if you are bank fishin' for cats and things are slow, it is a good way to pass time while you're waitin' for the "big-one".

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks for the info Bob. I've done some reading and research on detectors since I bought this entry level type detector, and I've also found that the MXT by White is the recommended all around detector.

My new one should be delivered today.

Oh, welcome to the BOC.

17. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    There are several good forums on the web that deal with using detectors and folks are always willing to help. Get to know your particular machine; it's as much becoming familiar with your particular detector as it is having lots of adjustments to get out of whack. Set up a "test plot" in the backyard with various coins at about 5-6 inches (make a map so ya don't forget what's-where) and practice with different detector settings as well as getting familiar with the pin-pointing functionality of the machine. That helped me a great deal when I was getting started. If your machine has a LCD screen readout, use it but go mainly on the sound. Meters are getting better all the time, but your own brain and how it interprets the character of the sound is better. Then go out and hit the parks, your own yard, old school grounds, Civil war sites(where permitted), beaches, etc. Respect other folks property and ask permission before making someone angry.(I'm not suggesting that you would, but it's amazing how a small number of folks can give the rest a bad name.) You'll never forget your first real-good find!

Good hunting/fishing!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thanks RW, I made my mind up on the MXT awhile back.
    I hope to order mine the first of the month.
    All of the things you mentioned above was the deciding factors for me.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My bounty hunter uses (2) 9 volt batteries. Does anyone have an idea what kind of life to expect out of them. I really haven't used it much until yesterday, and realized that I didn't carry any spare batteries with me. I was fishing from a spot on the river that has a high bluff, and I know the location has been utilized since colonial times and beyond. Right now it is a campground and boat landing area. I wasn't getting any fish bites, so I got out the MD and started looking around for a few minutes...found a few coins, a tent peg, and a small, very rusty round ball, not sure what it is. Nothing of value, but still enjoyed it, and it gave me time to get more used to using the unit. I did find quite a few old pottery shards, probably been there for many years, but too small to be on any value, or to tell what there origins are. (maybe some old-time campers Wheaties bowl:) )

20. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Tommy, if you use head phones, it'll save on your batt's and get your attention quicker when you hit a target.

You should get at least 30 continuous hrs out of them. I'd buy them in the large pack of 8, I think. Brings the price way down. Buying them in pairs hurts.