Advice For my jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Rajun_Cajun, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey guys, well my dad and i have been debating on what kinda engine i should get for my jon boat. were not sure if we want to get a trolling motor (maybe around 40-45pds.) or a little 5hp gas engine... its a 14ft. jon boat so if could probably hold either one. opinions would be great fellers. just seeing what you guys think. :0a35:

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Get a 9.9 there are a couple for sale on the member sales page

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Get both, you will need a good engine to get around and a9.9 is good on a 14. The trolling moter will get you around with alot less noise while you are fishing and save your arm from the paddle. On lakes, there have been days that I do not even use the gas engine, just troll everywhere.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    A 9.9 will realy push a 14 ft. good on gas good motor you can also get a Trolling motor for about $ 120 at wally world or academy enjoy your boat

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    You didn't mention any specifics, other than the length. I had a 14 flatbottom. I ran it with a 25hp Merc. It was a fairly good size boat, 24" depth, 54" beam. It'd run you around pretty good.
    Thinking it over, I probably didn't have what you call a "jon" boat(?)

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Buster is right on... you will be much happier with both. One word of caution, don't overpower the boat (or any boat for that matter). Find out what your boat is rated for by looking at the data plate. If it is not there, maybe you cans post length, width, height and manufacturer on the board and a member with a similar jon can tell you the specifics. Besides power, you need to be weight conscious. If all else fails, I used to paddle the devil out of mine. LOL

7. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Minn Kota "Endura 55" is a good choice for a transom trolling motor. I got mine at Gander Mountain last year for about $230. I like the composite shaft and the extendable handle.

Wooly