Advice for high/muddy rivers ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyron4, Jun 12, 2008.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Been getting alot of rain lately, :angry: Rivers are high, swift and muddy. Looking for any tips to catch Flats and Channels in these conditions ,or is it just a waste of my time. -Thanks

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Same here...almost out of the banks. I've been catching a few right up against the bank, in eddies and counter-currents.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Yep,
    Dave said it. Fish close to the bank and behind anything that is breaking the current...W

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When rivers are up I fish a couple of ways and have caught fish. First I look for bends in the river, this usually produces an eddy on the backside. I think the smaller fish come into this area for a break from the fast moving water. And it usually hold big fish, feeding on the smaller fish.

The second thing I look for is feeder creeks, these feeder creeks wash all kinds of food out into the main channel. Catfish are aware of these. While I am fishing like this, it is important to keep the bait out in these conditions, I have used up to 8 oz sinkers. If you do this I would suggest you use a sacrifice sinker (sinker tied onto the main line with lighter test line).

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my only advise is to find any slack water areas you can...I have a slack water spot on a big bend in the river I fish..when the river is way up it is full of shad, channel cats and a few flatheads.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Which ever way you fish becareful and don't become a # to the river your wife wants you back home and so does your kids if you have any:big_smile: