Advice for fishing Jordan Lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by papabear108, Aug 18, 2008.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been going to Jordan Lake for about 20 years but I have just recently started fishing it. Any advice on good locations to target?:embarassed: Looking for Channels and blues. I have been fishing stinking creek and the s turns near the dam. There is structure and channels there but no luck. The bait I have been using is chicken liver and cut bait on bottom rigs.

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Hi Brian,

If you figure it out let me know:wink:. Last Wed/Thur we caught we caught several 1-3lbers, a few over 5lbs, and one up around 10lbs just NW (60-70 yds) of that little island at the mouth of Stinking Creek on a trotline. We ran about 5-7 hooks in the hole (+/- 20') and ran the rest up onto the flat at about 13'. But, when we went back to that spot for R&R action we only had about half a dozen, or so, bites and only a couple of actual hook-ups with a couple of dinks.

If you go back to the NE of Stinking Creek (behind that other island) there's a flooded roadbed in the back of that cove that's produced for me in the past. Watchout for the stumps over there.

I've never had any luck in the S's, although it's always looked good to me with that 50+' channel that runs down to the dam. Maybe it's more of a winter time spot.

Good luck.

Jon

3. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the info. I know exactly where you are talking about. I also heard there is a road bed farther up the haw that supposedly produces good numbers but smaller size. I will look for the road bed you are talking about.

4. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
  5. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    allegedly...but none that you will catch.....

Jordan has:

White cats
    Bullheads
    Channels

found in numbers in that order......

White cats = the mosquitoes of the water world if you ask me....

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Amen to that Greg. I've seen pictures of either very large Channels (state record challenging territory) or medium sized Blues that were allegedly caught in Jordan (but you know how fishing stories go). And have heard anecdotes of "huge" flatheads stalking the flooded timber (which, I grant, that there's alot of that to be stalked) as well

I've noticed, though, over the past year, that sticking with a 4/0 or larger hook and threadfin shad has reduced the # of Bullheads and Whitecats that I've caught. I think, since last Feb (when I got my boat) I've caught three Bullheads.

Jon

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    blues and flats in jordan will still be a few years before they devople into a viable fishery.....the blues were put in jordan first(that i know of) then flats were put in the haw in alamance co.....but i am sure other guys other than the ones i know have put some in there.......some nice flats coming out of alamance co on the haw all the way to saxapahaw..........remember it took alsmost 20 years for the blues in norman to be "noticed".........the few blues being caught in jordan right now are surely misidintified by weekend anglers as channel cats.. ...also remember , the cape fear fishery was started with 7 blues by the ncwrc......i know 1 guy who put 3 times that many in jordan..............mack

8. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Several years ago I sent an e-mail and also call the Wildlife commisin about Blues and Flatheads in Jordan and also Harris. I copied this reply from my post of long ago.

Blue Catfish Stocking in Jordan & Harris Lakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an e-mail and the reply from the WRC on Blues being stocked in Jordan and Harris. By phone they said the same thing about Flatheads. Greg, I read the article concerning you and your Brother in the May 2005 issue of the North Carolina Sportsman. Conggragulations on a job well done ! Mr. McDonald,
    The Wildlife Resources Commission has not stocked blue catfish in Jordon
    Reservoir. We have heard reports from anglers that blue catfish have been
    caught. However, we have not collected blue catfish in our routine
    sampling. We hope to conduct sampling specific to catfish over the next
    several years.

The Wildlife Resources Commission has not stocked blue catfish in Harris
    Lake; however, channel catfish have been stocked twice in the past. We have
    only observed channel catfish during our routine sampling.

Thanks for your interest,
    Christian

Christian T. Waters
    NC Wildlife Resources Commission
    Division of Inland Fisheries
    Piedmont Region Fishery Supervisor
    919-989-7058
    watersct@earthlink.net

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:12 AM
    To: wrccomments@ncwildlife.org
    Subject: Jordan Lake Stocking :
    Importance: High

Could you tell me if there have been Blue Catfish stocked in Jordan ? If so
    when or any info on stocking of Blues in Jordan or Harris. In your sampling
    do youo find any Blues at Jordan or Harris. Thanks

I have caught a very few Blues trolling for Stripers in Jordan. Have not caught any Flats nor have I heard of any confirmed catches buts thats not saying they aren't there. With all the bait fish at Jordan it could sure become a very good Blue fishery in the future ! I think that was 7 Flats that were released in the Cape Fear back in the early 80's.!

9. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    How big are the flatheads in the Haw river? And where's a good spot to look for them.

10. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Sorry to get off topic, just trying to find some good catfish close to home. I've overlooked the Haw River, as well as Lake Jordan. :eek:oooh:

11. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    you really need a canoe to fish the haw good..........the flats that are being caught are from glenco dam all the way down to saxaphaw.....it would not suprise me to hear that some flatheads have been put in above glenco but i havent heard of any........canoe launch sites all over the river...google hawrivertrail...... ....that said you will still right now catch few flats there......it still needs to be another 5- 10(guessing) years before thay take off......i grew up right on the haw....my family still owns 2 tracts right on the haw....i used to trap and fish and run limblines all over the haw..........some nice channels in there but you need to use live bream big enough to keep the bullheads off of your bait....
    i dont endorse it but there were mostly put there by a few guys who fish the dan river up near milton and danville......i also know of a few put in there by some guys that would go to santee........
    harris has had flatheads since the dam was closed...there were in the creek when the dam was closed...bioligist have sampled flathesds in harris...see page 117 in the book tittled THE FRESHWATER FISHES OF NORTH CAROLINA...by edward f. menhinick.............
    book has reference to nc fish and where in the state they have been sampled by bioligist....
    and i also know of several people who have caught some big ones in there
    .........the state pretty much stocked whatever they wanted, whereever they wanted to in the early to mid seventies......roanoke bass in the uwharrie...smallies in the uwharrie....spotted bass in the 2 rivers and 2 creeks that feed the cape....now the cape itself is full of spotted bass....(my ratio of spotted bass to largemoth bass catch in the cape has gpne from around 5 spots to 1 largemouth 5 years ago to this year a high of 10 spots to every largemouth i catch in the cape fear) ...
    the state would never do this now.......they have seen that most of these introductions were harmful to the native species.....
    the blues i know about in jordan came from lake gaston........
    you will not right now find any flattheads in any state hatcheries.....was different yeas ago......they didnt know any better....they "accidently" stocked flatheads into salem lake when there were putting channel cats into salem lake.....

12. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    almost forgot......jand j catfish tournament held on jordan lake in 1996 or 1998?....was from 7pm one night to 7 am the next morning.....the 2nd place cat was a decent flathead of around 16? lbs......i saw that fish in the guys boat...but the kicker is the winning cat was a nice 21 or 22 lber channel.........it was a few lbs heavier than the flat........that was a nice channel cat!....so there was at least 1 flathead in 14000 acres then...mack

13. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to scout out some spots when I get back from the Ohio River this weekend. I heard it takes flatheads some 20 to 25 years before they get any size to them. Still fun to catch one that lives in a fast moving river.:wink:

14. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    dont know right whre you live but it must be in alamance co......your closest place for an almost sure thing is the dan river...the dan year in and year out is virginias biggest contributer to citation flatties caught in va........some of the best fishing is right in the town of danville below several of the dams.......or you can put in at anglers park below danville or at the hwy 62 ramp in milton......first decent blue i ever caught was up from that ramp.......also the first flathead i ever caught was above that ramp but it only weighed a few lbs...the dan has some monsters in it....mack

15. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Also, folks that have a boat that can navigate the river catch some nice flats below the Brantley Steam Plant Dam (Dan River), which is actually just the head of Kerr Lake.

16. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    I heard there we're some big cat and lots of them up there. Does the Dan flow into NC? I heard something about Yancyville. And yes I'm in Burlington. Is a NC fishing lic. good up there?:cool2:

17. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    The Dan ends at the head of Kerr Lake (Virginia end of Kerr). It and the Roanoke (some people call it the Staunton) come together at a fork to make Kerr. When the water leaves Kerr it is then the Roanoke which runs into NC where it remains til it gets to the ocean. So the Dan dont run into NC but all the water from it does. NC fishing license is good anywhere in the Dan just so you're below the Brantley Steam Plant Dam.

18. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    shallow!!!!.....its really a good river for my canoes but a small jon boat witha jet drive is ideal on the dan.......theres smallies in there too but i have never caught 1 below anglers park.......haw has to be my favorite river since i grew up seeing it out of my bedromm window but the neuse and dan are my 2nd and 3rd favorites.......mack

19. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

I'd like to make a correction. In my above post I stated that the Dan River didn't run into NC. While fishing with a friend today, he mentioned that as a kid he fished the Dan a lot around Eden NC. I said something about it being in Va and he said "no in NC". I never realized that
    it ran into NC at all but while looking at a state map I saw that it does cross over the NC line at least two times. Sorry !!