Advice for Fishing Combo Set for an 8th Grade Boy

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by festus, Dec 17, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I want to buy a spinning combo for a friend's son. He had been a problem child in the past, has ADD and has improved greatly since the doctor put him on Ritalin. He is an excellent basketball player and likes guns. He seems interested in fishing, but has never been. I want to get him a pretty good little combo including tackle box and assorted lures, floats, hooks, sinkers, etc. And definitely no Zebco 202s. Can spend up to $50. Has anyone bought any Christmas presents for kids lately and can they recommend an outfit? I may end up just buying a combo and then get him a tackle box separatly and fill it with goodies. But I prefer to buy the whole shebang in one packet.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Great to hear when it's able supporting our kids. Not exactly sure what setup is really needed but I would go to the local bait and tackle to get some advise or even better yet a good deal on an outfit. Good luck an keep us posted.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    usually wally world has some decent starter combos :wink:

4. festus

festus New Member

I don't want to get him a cheapie, but something light enough that a bluegill or crappie would put up a good fight, but strong enough to land a good size bass or catfish. Maybe a good spinning outfit about 5-1/2' to 6-1/2' with 8 to 10 lb. line.

5. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    As you know Gander and Bass Pro's has plenty of combos and this gives you a good excuse to go to either. But if you have to stay close go to Wally World. They have decent Shakespear Combos at a decent prices. I bought a tiger shark combo for $20 bucks. It has 12lb telst and med. action rod. I landed a 12lber no problem. It's a decent combo for the price and at that price you could get him two.

6. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I would look on the internet to find the cheapest price.I would get him an ugly stik combo kit. It comes with a small tackle utility box. I think walmart has them.

You could also go with an ugly stik catfish combo.

http://www.tackleforcatfish.com/sto...ct=Shakespeare-Catfish-Spinning-Combo#reviews

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...JadLC3PfqGlBSYPw==&ddkey=https:OrderCalculate

You can find these at a local store like bass pro. I got mine from walmart but I'm not sure if they still sell them.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. festus

festus New Member

I've been surfing the net for over an hour and still haven't really found yet what I want. Guess I'll just to to Gander Mtn, Kmart or Walmart and look. Either the rod and reel combos have been a little too heavy or light for what I intended, or the tackle included in the boxes isn't what I'm looking for. I don't want to get him a big heavy 7' or 8' rod with a 2 lb. reel, but then again I don't want to get him a 4' ultralight which would be stripped by a big fish. I'll keep looking and thanks for the advice everyone. Keep the suggetions coming, please. For 50 bucks, I'll be able to find what I need if I have to purchase stuff separately.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm sure you can find a decent medium action spinning outfit for around $30 or less. As for tackle, I would buy seperate so he can get the stuff he really needs. Uglysticks are good for kids, they really take the abuse.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I found some decent combos at Walmart for like 20 bucks and hauled in some carp that went 10# with the line that came spooled up on it.Good luck on your choice:wink:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Festus thanks for your thoughtfulness. I'm sure you will make the right find for this lad. Your giving may play a large part in the decisions he will make in the future. I have always said if you will teach a child to fish you will probably be keeping him off the streets and out of trouble. Congrats.

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    For durabilty.I would go with a Cabelas King Kat Combo.Get the one with the smaller reel if the other one is to big.Fished this combo for 6 years and and never had a problem out of the reel.I purposely tried to break the reel plenty of times just for kicks(They would replace it for free anyway).Tried breaking the reel seat and tried breaking the reel with HARD snaps with it tied to the house.It would shake a little but keep on tickin.I would never do this with any of my expensive reels.I also have friends that have had theirs for a number of years with no problems.The rod is strong but the guides might fall out(I think they upgraded the now).If you ever have a problem with it,receipt or not.Take it to cabelas for a no questions asked exchange.

Did I mention this is the oldest combo that I have that dosnt have anything wrong it.

12. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for everyone's help, I ended up getting him a 7' South Bend outfit with a tackle box included. It'll be fine for him.