Advice for catfish at Lake Monroe

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CPD159, Aug 29, 2007.

1. CPD159

CPD159 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm going to Lake Monroe in a couple of weeks and looking for some info on where to start and what type of bait to use for any type of cats. I'll be starting in early evening and fishing until early morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    dennis the last time i went to lake monroe it was 4th of july weekend and tons and tons of ppl everywhere but we fished the spill way with some luck and just up the street from it is where they got alot of the rock for the dam it,s a huge cut out and it,s really rocky around there we done pretty good there and the ramp next to the road on the east side of the lake is pretty good there too . i hope this helps ya

3. CPD159

CPD159 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the tip...

4. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    my little brother and i went to monroe last year on a fishing trip. i loved it. we stayed in a state campground, it had a nice ramp, and you could drive your boat right up behind the campsite and leave it all weekend. i cant remember name of campsite but it is one of biggest there. anyway straight across from ramp there was a little cove we fished the first night. I caught a 18# flathead, a 10# flathead, a couple of 8 to 10# channels, and a lot of good runs we missed. i did some research before we went, i got a lake map and looked around on internet and heard a lot of good things about the flathead fishing, last year one guy was saying he caught 3 flatheads over 60#s and a lot over 30#s. also if you like crappie fishing i caught a 1.7# fish and a lot of good eating size, had to let the big one go he was to big and to old to have as a sandwich. i hope you have as good of a time as i did. also may want to check out half of resevoir that is no wake. there is a good 20 ft channel that runs through it, most of the rest of area is around 10 ft.

5. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    also as far as bait goes we had no problem catching tons of good shad and bluegill off the docks around boat ramp.

6. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I'm heading there in a week or so , so any pointers or places would be great.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ive never fished there but hope to sometime. I sure appreciate the helpful info that you all have posted. Thanks again.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Went out crappie fishing on monroe last night for a couple hours. did real well for the bigger crappie (no monsters). As we were coming in the DNR (same guy we talk to all the time) said that some guys were doing really well drifting for cats. One guy came in with 4 channels around 6-7 pounds to eat and says he caught a 15 pounder and 2 around 10 that he released. Another guy reported catching a 45 pound flathead (the dnr guy says this was true b/c he catches alot of big flats every year). They were both drift fishing in 3-6 feet of water with cut shad. The guy that was catching the channels was vertical drifting while the guy with the flathead was longline drifting (something i've never tried for cats). But i might have to get out tomorrow night and try it. i'll let ya know how i do!