Advice and Tips

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by jtrew, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This works for any pork roast, whether Boston Butt, or loin. Take a knife and stab the roast. Insert a whole garlic clove, or half a clove if very large. Take a cleaned piece of green pepper (not bell) and push the garlic to the bottom of the stab wound, then cut off the pepper flush with the top of the meat. Continue, leaving about 3"-5" between the garlic/pepper holes. Season and bake as usual.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Catdaddy_64)

Chicken Rub
    4 teaspoons chicken seasoning
    1 teaspoon cumin powder
    1 teaspoon coriander powder
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix together.

Bulk Mixture
    1/2 cup chicken seasoning
    2 tablespoons cumin
    2 tablespoons coriander
    1 tablespoon allspice
    1 tablespoon cayenne
    1 tablespoon pepper

3. Whistler

State:
    TN

From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQGURU

This is the latest craze in preparing any type of poultry. What you do is mix up a batch of some type of flavored brine solution and then soak or inject your bird with it.

I will share my favorite brine recipe with you in just a minute. Why brine? Let’s go through the science and see if it makes any sense to prepare our birds this way.

The brine solution is comprised of salt water and other flavoring. The salt in the solution causes the cells in the meat to open wide. This is turn facilitates the occurrence of osmosis, an exchange of fluids. So, in essence you have the fluid of the bird that goes out and the flavored brine solution that goes in.

This will result in a much more moist and flavorful bird. This can be used when deep frying a turkey, when roasting a whole chicken of when grilling chicken parts. Try it next time you fix your favorite poultry.

OK here is a recipe that was developed by a friend of mine, Rick Schoenberger, aka, Shake. He developed this over several years and has won acclaim far and wide with this recipe. First, a couple things about his recipe. You can either soak your bird or inject this into the bird. If soaking, which is much easier, completely submerge in his solution for 48 hours. Be sure to refrigerate! If injecting, inject about 2 ounce into each breast, thigh and leg. Let this sit for 24 hours, again refrigerate.

As we all know poultry is very susceptible to bacteria formation. In this recipe, Shake uses Tender Quick to kill off any bacteria formation. Be sure to use this!! It is a curing agent and contains Sodium Nitrate and Nitrite. It is packaged in 2 pound blue bags by Morton and can be found in the spice section of most stores.

So, here it is. After using this, just cook your bird however you would normally cook. But we all know GRILLING is the tastiest!!

Shake’s Poultry Honey Brine
    1 gallon water
    1 cup kosher (coarse) salt
    1 cup honey
    2 tablespoons Tender Quick
    3 bay leaves
    1/4 teaspoon cloves
    1/2 teaspoon pickling spice

Bring to boil. Let settle back to room temp.

If injecting, inject in breasts, thighs and legs...about 2 ounces in each. Let sit refrigerated for 24 hours.

If soaking, submerge entire bird or the parts you choose to cook in brine for 48 hours under refrigeration.

4. Whistler

State:
    TN

You can purchase an already cut-up chicken in the market, but I usually cut them up myself because I prefer my chicken cut into ten (that's right, 10!) pieces. I find the breast pieces much too large to cook evenly with the rest of the chicken, and also too large for most people to eat.

You'll need a sharp boning knife (a slender, flexible concave blade) and a pair of sharp poultry shears to make the task easy.

I first use the shears to remove the wing tips. Next, I use the boning knife to make a perpendicular cut just below the breastbone. Go all the way to the skeleton of the chicken, then turn the knife away from you (still in the chicken) and slide the knife between bone and meat all the way up to the tips of the wishbone.

The next step is to remove the leg, thigh and back sections from the bird. Using your boning knife, make some slashes from the groin area around the tip of the breast section on both sides. Bend the backbone back, and you'll just need to use your knife a little to detach the whole lower half of the chicken. At this point, you can choose to cut the back in half, but I find that makes the thigh section too large. I prefer to cut the back as its own piece by running the knife around the top of each thigh bone.

Break the leg section at the "knee" by bending the two pieces with your hands. You'll then see where to insert the knife to separate the drumstick from the thigh. You now have six pieces of chicken.

Use the poultry shears now, to cut the remaining breast in half. Also cut straight up the backbone, dividing the upper half of the chicken in two. Cut the remaining breast sections in two, diagonally across each. The wing will be part of each top piece - and you have ten fairly evenly sized pieces of chicken!

5. Whistler

State:
    TN

Chicken breasts are generally available in your market already boned and skinned. I prefer to do that work myself because not only do I save the labor charge, I also end up having bones for stock. It's really very easy once you've practiced on a couple. (I find it easier to bone a whole breast than halves.) Here's how:

Place the breast section on a cutting board with the ribs closest to you. Holding a boning knife in your dominant hand, make a long cut across the breast half just above those rib bones. Now, holding your knife as flat as you can along the breast, run the blade along the bone and under the meat.

When you get to the top of the breast, use the knife this time to detach the last of the meat from the bone. Check to make sure you haven't left the "supreme" behind on the bone. After you've done one or two, you'll wonder why you haven't been boning your own all along!

6. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Charles W. Holmes, Jr. (Flyingpig)

Creole Butter Turkey or Chicken Injection

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons kosher salt (DO NOT USE REGULAR SALT, IT WILL CLOG YOUR INJECTOR)
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons white pepper (DO NOT USE BLACK PEPPER, IT WILL CLOG YOUR INJECTOR)
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    1 cup melted butter

Directions:
    1.Melt butter slowly as not to burn.
    2.Add rest of ingredients and mix well.
    3.Place in a covered bowl and shake vigorously.
    4.Inject turkey or Chicken and refrigerate for at least one to 24 hours or more before deep frying.

This recipe works best with a larger type injector needle.

(The longer it sits, the better it gets)

7. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    COOKING IN A DUTCH OVEN
    You can cook anything in a Dutch Oven that you can cook at home in the oven or on the stove top! You really don't need special recipes for the Dutch Oven. All that you need to do is learn some basic procedures and how to control the heat. If done properly, you can place the food in the oven and enjoy yourself while your dinner cooks.

CONTROLLING HEAT
    Use charcoal if you are just starting to cook in the Dutch Oven. If you are the cook, DON'T FORGET TO BUY CHARCOAL. For a hot Dutch Oven, place the number of hot coals underneath equal to the diameter of the oven. Place double that number on top. For a 12 inch oven, 12 underneath and 24 on top. This will give you a hot oven of about 400 degrees. To reduce your oven temperature, reduce the number of coals 1 bottom and 2 top for every 25 degrees. If it is very cold and/or windy you will need to add a few extra coals. Always preheat your oven before you add the food. Your coals should last about an hour. If your cooking time is more than an hour, or if the coals are burning fast because of the wind, you must have extra hot coals ready to keep the oven temperature consistent.

SPECIAL TECHNIQUES
    BAKING - If you are using a baking pan, use an oven rack or some small metal items (washers) under the pan to allow a hot air space between the oven and the pan.
    TOP BROWNING - If you need to brown something, concentrate the top coals in the center of the lid.
    STACKING - If you are cooking in more than one oven, you can stack them. If you stack two 12 inch ovens, place 12 coals under the bottom oven, 12 coals on top of the bottom oven, and 24 coals on top of the top oven. You can stack several ovens. Remember that only the top oven gets the double coal amount on top. This technique saves coals. Place the items that you do not need to open during cooking on the bottom.
    FRYING - You can turn the lid upside down and use it as a griddle for eggs, toasted cheese sandwiches, French toast, etc. Suspend the lid over the coals using rocks, logs, or a lid rack.

AN EASY RECIPE FOR BEGINNERS
    Line a 12 inch Dutch Oven with foil. Preheat the oven with 10 coals on the bottom and 20 - 24 coals on the top. Pour in two 1lb. cans of peaches. Bring to a boil. Sprinkle one box of yellow cake mix over the peaches (ignore the instructions on the box!). Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar and one tablespoon of cinnamon on top. Press the mixture gently with a spoon to slightly moisten the ingredients. Cover and bake for 20 - 30 minutes. You can double this recipe in a 12 inch oven. REMEMBER - IF YOU CAN COOK IT ON TOP OF A STOVE OR IN AN OVEN, YOU CAN COOK IT IN A DUTCH OVEN!

8. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    If your rub contains any sugars at all the most important step is to sear the ribs and turn often while they are directly over the coals. After the ribs are seared I move them away from the direct heat and allow them to cook slowly. After 45 minutes of offset cooking, I wrap them loosely in foil not closing the top so smoke flavor can get in. Invert a foil pan to elevate the ribs further away from the heat, especially in smaller charcoal grills.

Remember baby backs are leaner so if ya like apple juice as mentionad above, try spritzing the ribs with apple juice a couple of times while they cook. Mango, papaya and other tropical fruit juices are tasty as well.

For "sticky ribs" apply your bbq sauce in the final minutes or remove from grill, baste heavily with bbq sauce, double wrap tightly in foil and set in an empty ice chest. The ribs will continue to cook with the trapped heat and tenderize.

Chicken can be cooked a million ways. Most of my family likes a split chicken dry rubbed then sauced at the end like mentioned above. I like a blend of tropical fruits and pureed habaneros as a finishing sauce for dry rubbed bone in chicken breasts or a citrus (orange, lemon, lime) soy, ginger & red pepper marinaded breast.

Good luck and please post pics!

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'm a dry rub guy, like to apply it the night before if possible. My ribs are cooked with indirect heat for 2 hours at 200-250 degree(spares), foil wrapped with a little pineapple juice in the foil pouch and cooked for 45 minutes, then an hour more after removal from foil. I don't apply BBQ sauce to my ribs, if they can't stand alone then I need more work on my cooking!! I don't soak or foil my wood chips, just because there isn't white smoke coming out the top of the grill doesn't mean that meat isn't getting the wood's flavor. Use caution with your chicken, you can have too much smoke for chicken. I do brine all my chicken; 1 quart h2o, 1 quart apple juice, 3/4 white sugar, 1/2 kosher salt(cut to 1/3 if granular), soak chicken in this for 45-60 minutes, rinse pat dry, season and grill as usual.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Drying Peppers with a Dehydrator
    1. Slice your peppers in half. If desired, remove the seeds, stem, and membranes from each pepper half.
    2. Lay the halves, cut side down, in single layers on the dehydrator screens.
    3. Take your dehydrator to a well-ventilated area. The fumes from very hot peppers will make your eyes water, and since this process can take several days, you'll want to make sure that the location is closed off and well ventilated. Outdoors would be even better, if possible.
    4. Let the peppers sit in the dehydrator for several days at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit, checking to see how they're progressing. The peppers must be very dry before they're done, as any moisture left over will invite mold and parasites.
    Drying Peppers in the Oven
    1. Prepare your peppers the same way as you would when using a dehydrator. You can arrange them directly on your oven racks if desired, or use baking sheets.
    2. Put the peppers in the oven and heat to 100 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave the oven door open a bit to provide air circulation.
    3. If you're using baking sheets, turn the peppers frequently to provide even drying.
    4. Allow the peppers to dry well, with no discernible moisture left over.
    Air Drying Peppers
    1. Leave the peppers whole, and leave the stems attached.
    2. Using a long, sharp needle and strong thread or fishing line, string the peppers together. Leave enough room for the air to circulate between each pepper.
    3. Hang your stringed peppers in a warm, dry place, preferably in direct sunlight.
    4. Peppers may take a few weeks to dry completely.
    Peppers dried in the dehydrator or oven will lose some of their color and the seeds will fall, while air-dried peppers will retain both their color and their very spicy seeds. When peppers are completely dried, store them in an airtight container or zippered plastic bag in a cool, dry place. Dried peppers can be ground and used as spices, or you can soak them in water to rehydrate them, and use them in soups and sauces.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Try this if you are using a liquid batter.

Oil-365F. degrees
    Pat filet dry
    coat filet with flour(or some of your dry batter mix)
    shake off excess
    dip in batter
    let excess drip off
    slowly add to grease/oil
    do not add too many filets,about 2# to a gallon of oil
    treat them gentle

12. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    When I was a kid I worked at two different floating restaurants. Each had it's loyal customers for different reasons and here are a couple of things they did that kept people standing in line.

1. Catfish - soak your catfish in mustard water a few minutes before dredging in your favorite dry coating. These were whole catfish gutted, skinned and head removed that filled an oval platter.

2. Onion rings - save that buttermilk pancake batter from breakfast. Thin it down a little and use it for onion ring batter. We didn't use a basket - just a stainless steel wire with a hook on the end to flip the rings and dip them out when both side were browned.

3. Hush Puppies - whatever recipe you prefer just keep it thin. If you can make a ball with the dough it is to thick and will be tough. The batter should be just thick enough that it will not pour off a spoon. Use a finger and slide the dough off the spoon and into the oil. The hush puppy will be tender evertime!

These three tid bits have always worked for me and often get compliments from friends who drop by camp for a catfish supper.

All my Best

Larry

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Allspice (gr.) - baking, puddings, relishes, fruit preserves.

Allspice (wh.) - pickling, meats, gravies, fish.

Anise Seed - cookies, candies, sweet pickles, coffee cakes.

Apple Pie Spice - apple brown betty, pies, etc.; sauces, apple sauce, baked apples.

Arrowroot (gr.) - dust on baked goods; thickens gravies, sauces, fruit pies.

Basil Leaves - tomato dishes, peas, green beans, squash, lamb chops, cheese and egg dishes; spaghetti, etc.

Bay Leaves - pickling, stews, sauces, soups, meats, fish, chowders.

Black Pepper (wh.) - stews, soups, vegetables; use in peppermills.

Caraway Seed - cabbage, noodles, soft cheese spreads, sauerkraut, pot roasts; baking, especially in rye bread.

Cardamom - pickling, chewing as breath sweetener.

Cayenne Pepper - extra hot touch for sauces, pickles, soups, eggs, fish, vegetables.

Celery Seed - salads, pickling, salad dressings, vegetables, stews, potato salad.

Chervil - fish, eggs, salads, wine and butter sauces; milder than parsley.

Chili Powder - Mexican dishes, chili con carne, stews, meats, tomato sauces.

Chopped Chives - soups, omelets, salads, vegetables; excellent in sour cream.

Cinnamon (gr.) - baking, toast, sweet potatoes, apple sauce/pie.

Cinnamon (stk.) - pickling, stewed fruits, preserving.

Cloves (gr.) - baking, puddings, stews, vegetables.

Cloves (wh.) - pork or ham roasts, pickling, perk up sweet syrups.

Coriander (gr.) - baking, poultry stuffings, meat balls; fresh pork before baking.

Coriander Seed - stuffings, meat stews, pastries.

Cream of Tartar - cake icings, egg whites, whipped cream, meringues, candies.

Cumin (gr.) - soups, cheese, Mexican dishes, stuffed eggs, canapes, stews, pickles.

Cumin (wh.) - cheese dishes, cabbage, soups, meats.

Curry Powder - French dressing, soups, chowders, eggs, vegetables, rice, curried dishes, meats, fowl, seafood.

Dill Seed - pickling, meat sauces, gravies, salads, soups, sauerkraut.

Fennel Seed - roast pork, fish, sweet pickles, breads.

Ginger (gr.) - Chinese dishes, gingerbread, cakes, pies, meats, pot roasts, canned fruits, pickling.

Ginger (wh.) - conserves, pickling; stewed with dried fruits.

Lemon Peel - custards, puddings, batters, pie fillings; salads/hors d'oeuvres.

Italian Seasoning - spaghetti, macaroni, ravioli, etc.

Lemon-Pepper - meats, seafood, fowl, vegetables, salads, soups, sauces.

Mace (gr.) - whipped cream, cooked fruits, pound cakes, chocolate dishes, etc.; gravy.

Mace (wh.) - fish sauces, pickling, gravies.

Marjoram Leaves - stews, soups, fish sauces, salads, poultry seasonng, stuffings.

Mustard (gr.) - meats, sauces, gravies, deviled eggs, cheese dishes, vegetables.

Mustard Seed - salads, meats, fish, pickling.

Nutmeg (gr.) - baking; topping for custards, eggnog, donuts, fruits, sauces.

Nutmeg (wh.) - grate as needed.

Orange Peel - custards, puddings, souffles, cake and cookie batters; salads/hors d'oeurvres.

Oregano - tomatoes, fish, stews, meat, sauces, gravies, omelets, boiled eggs; all Italian and Mexican dishes.

Paprika - garnish for salads, fish, sauces, sour cream, gravies, Hungarian goulash.

Parsley - consommes, cream soups, salads.

Peppermint Leaves - sauces, consommes, beverages; use with spearmint for strength.

Pickling Spice - pickling, soups, gravies, pot roasts, fish dishes.

Poppy Seed - topping for breads, pastries, salads, crackers and cookies.

Poultry Seasoning - stuffings for wild game, poultry, veal, pork, fish, meat loaf.

Pumpkin Pie Spice - pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, candied yams, sweet potatoes.

Red Pepper (gr.) - extra hot sauces, pickles, soups.

Red Pepper (cr.) - soups, sauces, stews, Latin dishes.

Red Pepper (wh.) - pickles, relishes, hot sauces.

Rosemary Leaves - salads, poultry, stews, sups, fish, lamb, pork.

Rubbed Sage - pork, fish, poultry/stuffing, salad greens.

Saffron (Spanish) - boiled rice, arroz con pollo, seafood, curries, soups.

Savory Leaves - poultry stuffing, sauces, meats, soups.

Sesame Seed - topping for breads, rolls, cakes, cookies; use toasted in place of chopped nuts.

Spearmint Leaves - mint jelly, candies, beverages, vinegar, tea.

Tarragon Leaves - soups, salads, eggs, sauces; use to flavor vinegar.

Thyme (gr.) - poultry stuffing, meat and fish sauces, fresh tomatoes, stews, salads.

Thyme Leaves - croquettes, chipped beef, meat sauces.

Turmeric - pickling, relishes, curried dishes.

White Pepper (gr.) - most foods to taste; invisible on creamed potatoes, etc.

White Pepper (wh.) - stews, soups, gravies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.