Advice: 55 lbs. trolling motor on 10' jon ?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kyron4, Feb 2, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a heavy duty (around 80 lbs. empty) 10' aluminum jon boat. How well will a 55# 12 volt trolling motor work ? Is it to much ? I want something lighter than a 3-5hp gas motor but something that has some speed. My 30# motor does good on calm water but wind, waves, and current ( and my 215 lbs Dad :embarassed: ) slow it down easily. Will I notice a big difference between the 30# and 55# ? Is a 55# much faster than a 50# or 46# ? Will a 55# drain the battery quicker ? I want to stick with one battery. Any advice welcome. -Thanks

2. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Yes, When I first got my 14' flatbottom all that I was running it on on the river was a 40# and that pushed the boat pretty good (with a little rowing power). But now I have a 7.5 outbord and a new 10' john and that has completely spoiled me.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got a 40# thrust MinnKota tiller steer on my 10' plastic bass raider pontoon that I use for strip pits and small lakes, which is probably lighter than your 10' aluminum boat. I think a 55# troller on yours would be fine. Your not dealing with a weight issue on electrics like you would be on gas motors, and your aluminum boat should be able to handle the thrust structualy. I myself would'nt be afraid of it. Good luck.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would get a TROJAN SCS series 31 battery for it because it has the most amp hr of any standard battery.:smile2:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, with a 50 lb thrust motor, you should almost be able to water ski - LOL. Not quite that good, but it should move the boat. Sure, it is going to drain the battery more than a smaller motor, but you will just have to go with it a few times to figure out how long it will last. Maybe the first time or two you should go alone and carry a spare battery that would get you back to the bank. Trial and error - it is a heck of a way to shoot, but the only way to get the real answer.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have the minn kota 55at on my 17' 1800lb+ loaded boat and it moves mine pretty good, I dont think you will have any trouble moving at all as long as you have the right wire gauge, I believe it needs 8 gauge. I have one of those trojan batteries that Jim was talking about and it lasts for a long time.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mike, I would think that a 55 on a 10' boat, you'd be able to go fast enough for a squirel to waterski

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike the 55# trust will do you a good job and you will notice better preformance. You stated your father weight was 215# and you never said how much you and the extra gear would total. I would caution you to pay attention to the gross weight listed on your boat plate.Safety is very inportant, don't overload the boat just because you have a larger trolling motor. I hope this helps.

9. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That would be a nice size motor for that boat. I use a MK Maxxum 55 transom mount on a Coleman Crawdad with the motor head turned around and mounted on the bow and it doe's a great job on small lake's/ponds where the biger boat wont fit easiely Have a Suzuki 5 that I put on back (kicker from another boat)

10. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have the Minn Kota 55at also on my 18' jon and you better be paying attention when you hit the button at full thrust, if not, you might find yourself sittin instead of standin!! :smile2:

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I say get the 55lb motor. We have one on our 14' jon and it flat scoots.

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Watch out for low flying airplanes!!!!:big_smile_2:

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There will be an amazing difference going from 30 to 55!!

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    auto pilot is worth the additional cost if you seriously drift fish

15. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    You should have plenty of power and always remember just raise the prop till it almost chopping out of the water for a little more speed.

16. Kelo80

Kelo80 New Member

State:
    SW MN
    That boat will move with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor.

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My uncles 46 lb motor does us just fine on the river in a 12 ft jon.

I just bought a new 55 lb though for this year and I know it will be way more power than needed and will get us upstream when we need to

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Andrew, you look cold.

19. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As I mentioned in another post I bought a Minn Kota "Endura 55" last year for about $230. The extend able tiller and composite shaft are a bonus. It is variable speed so nothing says you have to run it full out. Not many people run their trucks all out.

Wooly