Advantech flooring

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by CountryHart, Feb 21, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Has anyone ever used advantec for flooring in a boat? It comes with a 50 year warranty. Won't soak up water and isn't much heavier than reg. treated plywood. Cock pit of my bassboat got spongie and i have it removed, just need to put something back. Gonna coat it with dure-tuff from cabelas when i get all the carpet out of it.

2. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    i run commercial construction jobs for a living and we use alot of advantech in wood and metal framing flooring and its great stuff, however im not sure if its going to suit you for a boat floor. Although its very solid stuff and it does have a form of a wax coating on it, its still made of particle board just like OSB and i believe with prolonged exposure to moisture your going to run into it getting soft on you. It would prob hold up fine with a good coating of paint for a year or so, but i forsee longterm problems.

Treated wood will also react with your aluminum and cause serious corrosion problems (the chemicals in the wood eat the aluminum) or this is what ive been told.

I would recommend a good grade C or better sanded plywood and coat it with epoxy on the bottom and sides and put your paint on the top

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have glas, wonder how it would hold up fiberglassed? Also would coated deck screws be okay or should i spend the $$$ for stainless?

4. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with the other post. I have used the advantech on several homes and additions and if you've ever toted a peice or too it is quite heavy. What kind of plywood was in there before and how long did it last? Probably better off to just replace it.

5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    you may be ok with coated but i personally always use stainless sheet metal screws (or self drilling) with anything in the boat, just a rule of thumb. They are stronger and in the end your only talking $8-10 more.

if you glass it or epoxy it you should be fine, i dont see the need for glass and its right much more work then just a couple coats of epoxy but it would be more uniform and stronger in the end if you did glass it.

6. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    In regards to the pressure treated lumber is this only if it makes contact with the aluminum? If you put down reg class c wood fir strip say 2x2 and a sheet of 1/2 inch pressure treated on top and screw it to the fir strips, is this still going to have the same effect you think?

Greg

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's my understanding, yes.

8. starcraft72

starcraft72 Member

State:
    Virginia
    I completly redid my 72 starcraft floor with it and it works great! The floor is strong with no bounce. The front deck we made with painted OSB and 3 years later it has a weak spot in it. The Advantech was painted the same way and it is still strong! :wink:

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The original deck was plywood that had been glassed. I had the advantec already and used it. I'm glassing the bottom side and edges and plan to put tuff-coat on it.This is a bassboat i'm working on with 150 yamaha on it. Hopefully the weight won't make too much of a difference. Cutting the curve out was a bit tricky but have most of it cut. I decided to go back with all SS screws.I'm still undecided on how to attach my rod rack on the back. Probably install permenant studs where i can remove it when i want to bass fish.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    BUMP. About got the deck all finished. Does anyone here have experience with Tuff-Coat? I read all of Cabelas reviews on the product and most everyone seemed pleased. I may have to have both kinds of primers because part of the deck is wood substrate and then theres the alum. covers over rod lockers, live wells and such. Thanks everyone for their input so far. I appreciate it.