Advantages to longer rods? (8ft & Longer)

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by PWillis, Oct 12, 2007.

1. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    Could some of you explain to me the pros/cons to using rods that are in the 8-12ft range?

I am happy with my 6'6" rods, but am I missing out on something with the longer lengths?

I posted a topic on 1 piece vs. 2 piece rods, but do they even make like a 12ft. ONE piece rod?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phillip they make one piece rods in 10,12, and 15 ft lenghts and maybe longer,but you may have to get one custom made . My father in law uses 15 footers all custom made one piece rods . To me the disadvantages are obviously transporting a one piece rod of that size,and being able to fish it if there are trees etc. . on the advantage side ,you can cast much farther and have more spring' to fight your catch with.I'm sure others have thier own ideas but thats why I like them in certain situatoins.

3. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Well, you have seen all the trouble your first post caused...

Two piece rods are convenient for transporting and storage. That is really the main difference. The rest is personal preference.

Longer rods = longer casting distance. It's great to have a longer rod on the shore without any trees or brush in the way. It allows you to throw the bait farther. It allows you to cover areas that are not accessible by anglers with shorter rods.

However, it would be to your disadvantage to have that same rod in a boat or in heavy vegitation. They can be very cumbersome under close quarters.

Longer rods can also be heavier. If you are carrying your gear all over the place it could become a factor, but I have found longer rods that are lighter than some of the smaller ones. You just have to look for them.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    The common theme that I think will come from this post is the old saying to each their own. You are going to get a lot of different reasons that we all use the rods that we use.

For me personally I run everything from 6' to 10' rods, anything over that is going to be to long for my purpose.

When I am in the boat I like to use my shorter rods. They are easier to manuever and with the mobility of having a boat they seem to fit my needs perfectly.

When fishing from the shore I like to use the longer rods, they give me the ability to fish longer distances from shore as well as more control and leverage when wenching in the big ones!

I also have no preference between 1 and 2 piece rods. Having both! However, It is great with the mobility of my 2 piece rods that I can pack them up and take them with us even on family vacations where I can sneak away and wet a line in new waters!!!

Hope this helps!
    Tight Lines brother

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA looks like brother Jedi beat me to the punch!

We share very similar views, however I got a call in the middle of typing mine

6. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    So you are given much more leverage in not only casting with a longer rod but also better leverage in fighting one in.

It makes more sense to me now.

What does one mean when they say "I had a 12ft. rod and I couldnt turn him"?

7. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    You would be best served to ask the person who posted that message exactly what he or she meant by it. It sound to me like he or she had a fish on the line in the middle of a fight and it went into some cover of some type (brush, weeds, under a dock, under the boat, etc...) and the fisher(person)(like that?) was unable to turn the fish around and bring it into the boat / shore.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea usually when a person says they couldnt turn them means they wanted the fish to come to them and the fish had different ideas and the fish exceded their tackel and went were ever it wanted to go going going gone:angry:... a longer rod will usually cast further and help wear the fish out eaiser (think of it like running with a bungie attached) run run ehh run run ehh....:embarassed: you cant dominate the battle but you can rope a dope!

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use the longer (10'-11') rods when bank fishing. The one thing I havent seen mentioned here on this thread is reeling in to check your bait. If you are fishing a snaggy area, you want to reel in fast and get your rig and bait to the surface as fast as possible to keep from hanging up. With the longer rods, you can lift your rig up higher when reeling in than you can with a 6'-7' rod. When bank fishing, your line goes out at a greater angle than fishing from a boat, which is more likely to get hung up when reeling in.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Philip;
    You asked about longer rods and what it means when someone says that they "could not turn him".
    First things first.
    If you are happy with your 6.5' rod then stay with it. Your question, like your previous one, comes under that heading of "Personal Preference"!
    Personally, for "ME", I like rods that are 7'+ for all of my fishing no matter if I am going after the BIGGUN'S or "food" for a BIGGUNN. I have always been able to cast further and more accurately with a longer rod. I can get more distance for the swing and I seem to have better control and "feeling" of the bait that I am using no matter if it's meal worms for Bluegill, various lures for Bass* NOTE: For me, Bass are Catfish Bait just as are some of the local squirrels that I use on the Mississippi too. But that is another story.
    Some people like shorter rods, under 7', for the same reasons that I just mentioned for the longer rods as they apply to me.
    I also feel that I have a bit more leverage against the fish which is, for me, very important because if I hook onto a Trophy sized BIGGUNN I am going to let the Rod and Drag on my reel wear the Big Critter down as much as I can! Oh, in my book a Trophy sized BIGGUNN is one that is 60#+ on an accurate scale. I'm sure other Brother's and Sister's have their own opinions as to what is a "Trophy" sized Catfish is.
    If I am fishing off the bank, and if I have the room, I will use either my 8'+, my 10' rod, or my 15' rod again depending on the conditions and the room. If I am fishing off the boat then I will use either my 8' Shakespeare Heavy Duty Spinning Rod or my 8.75' Custom Rod because, as another Brother stated, I don't need a longer rod because I don't have to "Launch" a bait from the shore. :big_smile:
    Personally, I am comfortable with Rods in the 8 to 10' range for most of my fishing. I have seen Crappie/Bluegill Rods out to the 15 to 18' length but I am getting away from your questions!
    In answer to your question about the length of Rods. Yes, you can get One Piece Rods from about 5.5' up to 17' which happens to be the longest that I have heard of and it was for Offshore Fishing and a special purpose rod!
    I am sure if you have the money there is someone that would make you a longer one if you wanted it. You might talk with one of our new BOC sponsors that build custom rods! You will find them listed on the main page under "Sponsors". :big_smile:
    You mentioned "Turning". Let me explain it this way. If you was on a boat, out on the Mississippi up just below St. Louis fishing for a Trophy Blue and, just for explanations sake lets say that, a 100 pound Plus Lady BIGGUNN takes your bait and heads for that HUGE brush pile on the other side of the Mississippi. Your 6.5' rod is bent almost double and your reel is SCREAMIIIIIINNNNGGGG! You DON'T want that Trophy getting into all that brush and rock because if she does, your going to loose the fish, your hook, a bunch of line and maybe even your rod and reel!!!!
    Frantically, your boating buddy starts the boat up and quickly goes about 50 yards downstream and towards the Lady so you can not only try to turn her but also gain valuable line back on your almost exhausted reel! Now your to her left and you start leaning back on your rod straining it to it's design limits and, in desperation, maybe even past those limits. Same for the line too.
    What you are trying to do is TURN Her Nose AWAY from that Brush pile and into a different direction, in this case down stream so that she does NOT get into those rocks, brush, logs, ect.
    Despite your best efforts she makes it to that big pile of rocks and brush just as you give one last desperate yank on the rod and line to turn her away!
    Alas, she had wrapped that line around a log wedged in between two huge rocks about two seconds before you pulled. You managed to break your line AND your Rod! She jerked back and fourth a couple of times and abraded your line to where it broke off about 6 inches from the hook in the corner of her mouth and went on her way chalking up another human on her scoreboard!!!
    You Failed to TURN Her! :sad2::angry:
    Now you go post your story on the BOC boards and take solace that your not the only one that this has happened too as many BOC Brother's and Sister's tell you their stories. :big_smile:You sign up for a give away Custom Rod and Reel give away on the BOC and, ... ... and, ... you WIN!! :smile2: A second chance! :big_smile:
    Now you can go back after that Lady for round 2!
    Sorry for being so long winded, but now you should throughly understand what "failing to turn" a fish means.
    If you want to know what it means when applied to other animals or humans send me a PM with your question and I will do my best to explain that way too. :big_smile:
    Hope this helps, and I hope you and the other Brother's and Sister's enjoyed the "explanation". This is something I RARELY do in this particular manner!!
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a couple of 14' one-piece rods that are custom made for fishing below the dams and powerhouses on the Arkansas River. When casting from shore, most people do well to reach the 5th outlet; top casters with these long rods can often make it to the 12th outlet. Needless to say, putting your bait where hardly anyone else fishes results in more fish. Fishing from a boat, we are prohibited from approaching the dam any closer than 100 yards. With one person running the boat and holding it right at the line, you still have to cast 100 yards; if you're fishing by yourself, your looking at having to make casts of 125 yards or more. At the local nuclear power plant, there's a cable that stops boat traffic from proceeding any farther, but there's a good fishing spot about 90 yards past the cable. These extra long rods make it easier to reach that honeyhole. These rods are troublesome to transport, and especially bothersome to carry in a boat, but there are simply situations where nothing else will do the job.